Hometalk.com

Backyard Escapes 07.20.13

Bird feeder deterrent

After so long doing battle with squirrels attacking my bird feeder and trying everything possible, I resorted to doing something less expensive. I simply took packing tape, {sticky side outside} and so far they have not been able to get past it .I have watched it for 2 days and so far the birds are able to eat in peace the squirrels just pick up the seed that falls
72 Comments Displaying 15 of 72 comments | See Previous
  • Tried this and didn't work. It just gave my Squirrels more grip to get up the pole... any other suggestions?
  • Vicki Bagley Pleasant Grove, AL
    sometimes raccoons get into bird feeders, too
  • shumate mechanical Marietta, GA
    ohhhhh check out daylight robbery on any home improvement or animal show it is hilarious, it shows how long it takes squirrels to figure out their way around a bunch of obstacles!
  • Cindy J Winter Haven, FL
    i like sqquirrels
  • Alberta W Warrenton, NC
    Lol that's a good idea...I've got plans for ants & ladybugs who usually visit my home uninvited every March-April..this year it's ON!
  • Sally Chapman Grand Rapids, MI
    We have tried everything, the pcv pipe, greasing the pipe. It might work for awhile then they figure it out squirrel proof feeders don't work either. I have given up. We have some fat squirrels now. Funny thing is we don't see them at anybody else
  • I have a solid for sure idea that we do for all of our clients. A tube of sheetmetal.. Cut up one side and it gripes to the trunk with no damage to the tree. Nothing gets past it.
  • Kim Wake Forest, NC
    My neighbor feeds the squirrels but I never get them in my yard....our cat roams the front yard....our dogs roam the back yard!!!!
  • Susan Toto Collegeville, PA
    Good idea!
  • Brilliant!
  • Alberta WWarrenton, NC don't do anything to discourage lady bugs...they eat the bad pest.
  • Uh what do you do with them jumping from tree to tree and coming down?
  • Joy Sarasota, FL
    I tried that with duck tape and it didn't work. Wish it would have.
  • I agree with Kim. As long as we had our dog in the back yard we never had a squirrel problem. Now they eat all the pear as soon as they get about 2" around.
  • Ivylore Trenton, MI
    Clever!