Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
Home improvement 03.15.13

HVAC zoning verses added a 3rd System

Looking to completed my basement. One HVAC engineer says just do zoning auto dampers, one says put a 3rd system in just for the basement. I won't be a living space but a game room
3174 on Nov 07, 2012
9 Comments Displaying 9 of 9 comments
  • Steve G
    Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    It seems like they would have the best sense of the project because they can see the space and know about your system. I would suggest getting a third opinion (or more) to break the tie.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    OK, here is the true scoop on doing this. Sorry being long but you need to understand exactly what you may end up doing so not to be disappointed in the results. This answer is just a simple basic one as it is really a bit more complicated then I
  • Hewitt Remodeling Services LLC
    Hewitt Remodeling Service... Virginia Beach, VA
    Bob's response is as good as it gets. Site unseen, I'd recommend a separate system, especially with the newer "mini-split" systems. Tim
  • Baby H
    Baby H Atlanta, GA
    I got a 3rd opinion and there opinion was do a basic manual damper zone for the basement. Woodbridge, I love your detail explanation.So with the 3rd opinion let me give a little more detail and please tell me if you think a full system should still be
    The systems combined are way over sized for the house. Assuming you have a 1st and 2nd floor level that combined equals about the same as the 1st floor and basement combined this tells me that you have in total around 4200 square foot house. This is a
  • Baby H
    Baby H Atlanta, GA
    Hi Woodbridge,

the 3rd level(bedrooms only) have a 3 ton furnance and a 3 ton A/C(which is new) unit on one thermostat its about 1200 sq

• Baby H
    Baby H Atlanta, GA
    Hi Hewitt, no one has mention anything about "mini split systems". So I'm learning a lot,
    I will digest that BH and get back to you later tonight. You have way to much cooling for the size of the house. Heat does not run on tonnage. It is # of BTU's input. Only AC system is rated as tons or 12,000 BTU's per ton.
  • Baby H
    Baby H Atlanta, GA
    Hi Woodbridge, Main level/Basement has 95% 75,000 BTU Rheem system and 3 ton AC unit. I will have to go back and ask that specific question. I can say that when I first purchased the home I had them do an "air flow" test on the home and was told i needed
Baby H