Old Magazines turned into Christmas Trees using simple Origami

Crafts 05.30.15
Don't know what to do with your old magazines? This is a simple, quick project (about an hour total), to turn a magazine into a Christmas Tree. See photos for the tutorial. This would be a great project for the kids because it's so easy!
  • Start with an old magazine. Use one that has good, thick sheets, not the really thin page ones. Choose different sizes. Wine Spectator is good for a big tree, or cut down if you need a smaller size. 200 pgs seems to be a good size.
  • This is what you will end up with, with your own spin of colors, decoration, etc, or just leave plain.
  • To start, tear off the cover, and discard, unless it's the same paper weight as the pages. Start with the 1st page, and fold down the upper corner into a triangle.
  • Fold the triangle you made with the first fold again. Fold against the binding as tightly as possible to assure a uniform look with all pages.
  • Take the "tail" that is hanging longer than the magazine, and fold it under, tucking it in between the folds you have made.
  • Do this for about 30-45 minutes, and you end up with a magazine tree.
  • Spray paint to the color desired. I use a silver chrome spray on mine.
  • I wanted some teal to go in my living room, so I used a cake decorating stencil and stenciled on some stars, using acrylic paint. You can decorate any way you see fit, hot gluing ornaments, garland, etc., or just leave plain!
  • Ruth H
    Ruth H Vicksburg, MI
    I used to make caroler "dolls" using a similar method of folding magazines, spray painting them, and placing a dowel rod in the center to hold the head on. I think the idea came from an issue of Better Homes & Gardens many years ago.
  • Pam Hearold
    Pam Hearold West Monroe, LA
    I remember making choir boys in grade school , and once as an adult & have always want- ed to every year .I remember still cutting yellow yarn for the hair ,Pretty simple & cheap too. only difference is folding each page 2 times ,4" s. foam ball on a
  • Ginger viggiano
    Ginger viggiano Jacksonville, FL
    I REMEMBER MAKINGTHESE OUT OF THE SEARS CATALOG AND USED FOR DOOR STOPERS, THAT WAS A LOT OF PAGEWS, SO HEAVY TOO.
  • Brenda Wahlig
    Brenda Wahlig Jonesboro, GA
    Old telephone directories work, too!
  • Leah Johnson
    Leah Johnson Hastings, NE
    good way to occupy those hands when you are watching that movie on TV.. and also keep the children occupied while the weather is bad outside. take away the cell phone games etc and put them to work on a magazine.. they can be constructive and not
Leslie D