Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Keep a Toilet Clean (much longer)

Techniques 01.18.15
Have a toilet that seems to get dirty very fast despite thorough cleaning? Try cleaning the siphon jets.

1.) Clean the underside of the rim with a nylon brush and homemade cleaning solution of vinegar, baking soda, and water.

2.) Shut off the water supply and flush the toilet to empty the tank.

3.) Block off the siphon jets with duct tape.

4.) Pour 1 gallon of vinegar in the tank and flush the toilet. Let it sit over night.

5.) In the morning remove the tape and open the water supply. Flush water through once to clear out any remaining vinegar.

#CleaningTricks

To see more: http://blog.homespothq.com/2012/11/toilet-maintenance-and-inspection/

117 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 23 of 117 comments | See Previous
  • Sherrie B
    Sherrie B Cleveland, TX
    Matthew Gingerella, thanks so much for your tips and info. I am printing this now and will give you an update after I've tried them out.
  • PatriciaGreenawalt
    PatriciaGreenawalt Henderson, NV
    We still don't have a reply on how to remove "Rust" from the inside of the toilet. Does anyone know?
    • Suzanne Seidenwand
      PatriciaGreenawalt CLR, Lime Away, or a good rust remover, they will work best with an empty bowl, can just put in a spray bottle nozzle, spray it& let it soak overnight... the works toilet bowl cleaner is o.k. if it's not to bad.
  • Matthew Gingerella
    Matthew Gingerella Riverside, CA
    Great Sherrie B - I look forward to hearing about your results. Matthew
  • Matthew Gingerella
    Matthew Gingerella Riverside, CA
    Hi PatriciaGreenawalt , my Hometalk friends recommended a product called "Iron Out" for removing rust stains. I haven't tried it personally, but the info comes from several knowledgeable sources.
    • Mame
      Mame Grass Lake, MI
      Matthew Gingerella I use Iron Out all the time. It also works wonderfully for washing white clothes that are yellowing from rusty water. Just don't use it on dark clothes.
  • Anne Johnson
    Anne Johnson Birmingham, AL
    Remove rust with Whink. Comes in liquid and powder. Powder is great for soaking tools, rusted together items. Liquid can remove rust from porcelain toilets etc, stainless, clothes, stone ...
  • Florence
    Florence Shelby, OH
    The works is the product that I use because we have well water we have these problems and the works takes care of it all
    • Dennis Menance
      Dennis Menance Lake Geneva, WI
      Florence -I live in Wi. and Have Well Water too !

When we moved from NSub Of Chicago to Wi. to Retire- on Well Water..(Ugh!)

• K. C
    K. C Alpharetta, GA
    The guy doing the tip on slow leaks--- is very cute, but his wife may thank him NOT to put the brush he cleans the potty with, onto the sink. Maybe onto a small pile of toilet paper or bristle-down, into a paper cup?! :) I LOVE how efficiently he gets
    • Tyler Golberg
      Tyler Golberg Alexandria, MN
      K. C it's funny you mention this because I didn't actually scrub the toilet with the brush. It does look it but there's an air gap if you look closely.
  • K. C
    K. C Alpharetta, GA
    Sorry for the typos. Stiff neck and little iPad are a lethal combo for typing! Thanks for the helpful cleaning tip.

A pal told me the reason sailors call the bathroom "the head" is because in a submarine, it. Is so important to keep those

• Cheryl Hall
    I turned the water off put on some rubber gloves and used a pumice stone. It worked awesome!
  • Carol Dingwell
    Carol Dingwell Spokane, WA
    Add to this post...They make a pumice stone for removing hard water mineral stains. $4 at Safeway.
  • KrysFL
    KrysFL Lakeland, FL
    Just a FYI... leaving cleaner in the toilet actually eats away at the clear coat on the porcelain which, you guessed it, causes it to show stains even faster!! NEVER leave cleaners in your toilet over night. If your clear coat has already been 'eaten'
  • Deb Priehs-Van Coillie
    Family Dollar has toilet bowl cleaner that takes anything out;;;rust etc & it is in- expensive, we also have very hard water & it cleans that up also (it is the family dollar brand & it only a buck/buck and a half)
  • Matthew Gingerella
    Matthew Gingerella Riverside, CA
    Thank you PatriciaGreenawalt - that is terrific to know; rust stains are some of the toughest - I think!

Matthew

• Wyvern_wivern
    Use CRL (Calcium Rust Lime) Patricia. It can be found at Walmart or Home Depot.
  • Carol David
    Carol David Sterling, MI
    To remove rust stains, I use The Works toilet cleaner every time. It comes in regular and thick, and I prefer the thick. It seems to stay on the sides better. You can see the rust disappear in the time it takes to squirt it on. I let it sit just a
HomeSpot HQ

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing