Keep a Toilet Clean (much longer)

Have a toilet that seems to get dirty very fast despite thorough cleaning? Try cleaning the siphon jets.

1.) Clean the underside of the rim with a nylon brush and homemade cleaning solution of vinegar, baking soda, and water.

2.) Shut off the water supply and flush the toilet to empty the tank.

3.) Block off the siphon jets with duct tape.

4.) Pour 1 gallon of vinegar in the tank and flush the toilet. Let it sit over night.

5.) In the morning remove the tape and open the water supply. Flush water through once to clear out any remaining vinegar.

#CleaningTricks

To see more: http://blog.homespothq.com/2012/11/toilet-maintenance-and-inspection/

• Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Ha ha ha Dee W!
  • Dee W
    Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    Tyler, I was able to work "this magic" over the weekend and yes all, it was successful!! With a husband and 2 sons all working different shifts the bathroom and the kitchen are always in use and needing cleaned. I am just glad we have 1 day when they are
  • Penny
    Penny Backus, MN
    Thanks, Joye, I can try that before getting the actual stuff.
  • HomeSpot HQ
    HomeSpot HQ Durham, NC
    Janet, you'll probably want to try a solution of vinegar, dish soap, and hot water. Spray on the hard water stains and let it set for a couple hours before scrubbing it off.
  • Janet W
    Janet W Muskogee, OK
    Will this solution get rid of hard water stains? I have tried everything.
  • HomeSpot HQ
    HomeSpot HQ Durham, NC
    So I thought more on the 1 toilet conundrum. You could still use the toilet and just flush it by dumping in a bucket of water from the sink.
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Ha ha ha Pat! I can only imagine their horror at seeing an outhouse for the first time. I would have turned and ran the back to my folks car yelling "Take me HOME".
  • Pat
    Didn't know coffee still came in cans. Guess you can tell I do not drink it. Hub has a friend who keeps a plastic Lay's potato chip can (like Pringles can) in his garage workshop, since it is a ways away from his house. I am old enough to remember
  • Joye Grube
    Joye Grube The Colony, TX
    I wonder if you could try a stronger mix of regular vinegar Penny. Just don't dilute it as much.
  • Channen Allen-Sallee
    Channen Allen-Sallee Horseshoe Bend, AR
    lol..to the ewww..you would have been miserable in the days of old when it was completely normal to squat over a chamber pot..not much different than a coffee can *shrugs*
  • Penny
    Penny Backus, MN
    Thank you, Becky. I did see it. Unfortunately the closest store handling it that I have found so far is about 60 miles one way. Guess when ever I drive through that area I will have to stop & stock up. All reviews I read have been positive, so far, for
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Penny, look at the related posts below where the reply box is here on this thread and you'll see a picture of it. It's a tiny bit stronger than distilled white vinegar.
  • Penny
    Penny Backus, MN
    What is cleaning vinegar, Becky? I've never heard of that. Thank you.
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    "Coffee can"? Ewwww Susan! We have four bathrooms so no worries here. Ha ha ha. What about a Homer Bucket with toilet seat attached?
  • Susan S
    Susan S Fredericksburg, VA
    Either that Becky & Dee W - or make sure you have a spare coffee can standing by!! While I don't have to
HomeSpot HQ