Hometalk.com

Chalkboard Ideas 12.30.13

I painted my refrigerator... with chalkboard paint.

This was actually a really, really easy project. I was anticipating it to be really time consuming, and also to be disappointed with the results. I have to say that it really only took half a day from start to finish and I'm totally in love with it. I think the finish looks great. My blog post covers all materials you'll need, how to get the surface ready, applying primer, painting the fridge, grille, and also the ice maker component.
Time: 1 Day Cost: $50 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.prettypurpledoor.com/projects/chalkboard-refrigerator/

19 Comments Displaying 15 of 19 comments | See Previous
  • Love me some chalkboard paint but like Rachel above said, how do you clean it?
  • HighlandContractors Rochester, NY
    So creative. I would also like to hear about cleaning it.
  • Amy Old Forge, PA
    From what I read, you can easily clean it with just a wet sponge. The chalk "priming" also serves as a protective barrier against grease and things like that. There's a great FAQ on this site: http://www.thehandmadehome.net/2012/01/faqs-...
  • Rachel Medina Ogallala, NE
    Thanks Amy that information is very helpful:)
  • Melody M Chattanooga, TN
    wow thats quite cool.. love that ideal that you can make your grocery list right on the doors of the fridge..
  • If it weren't so heavy, you could take it with you shopping and the cold stuff would already be in the fridge... lol
  • bonne idée..
  • I love this! What a cool idea! I think I know what my next project will be now. :-) Thank you for sharing!
  • Sondra A Janesville, WI
    Very interesting. My refrigerator has such a bumpy finish I cannot imagine being able to paint it with chalkboard paint and then being able to write on it. lol. Good idea, looks great.
  • Leo Ontario, CA
    Dear Sondra A..If your refrigerator is bumpy you can still do this. I took a small square piece of thin sheet metal (It was actually the front face off and old dishwasher) and gave it a couple of coats of primer before applying 3 or 4 coats of the
  • Amy Old Forge, PA
    My fridge was pretty bumpy, too. The magnetic primer is really thick and filled in a lot of the bumps. It's still not perfectly smooth but it definitely works!
  • Sondra A Janesville, WI
    Is the magnetic primer located in the paint department also? I've never heard of it before.
  • Amy Old Forge, PA
    Yep! It's right on the shelf -- no need to get it mixed at the counter. It comes in a quart size and it's by Rustoleum. Usually they are in a little cardboard box. At the HD I went to it was right near the chalkboard paint :)
  • Beverly Curd Louisville, KY
    The door on my refrigerator is vinyl. Do you think this will work? I really need to do something and this sounds like a great idea!
  • Amy Old Forge, PA
    Hi Beverly, I think that as long as you prime the refrigerator with something appropriate for vinyl it will work fine. Just make sure that you ask when you buy the magnetic primer (or any primer) if it will adhere to vinyl. Then, the chalkboard paint