I painted my refrigerator... with chalkboard paint.

This was actually a really, really easy project. I was anticipating it to be really time consuming, and also to be disappointed with the results. I have to say that it really only took half a day from start to finish and I'm totally in love with it. I think the finish looks great. My blog post covers all materials you'll need, how to get the surface ready, applying primer, painting the fridge, grille, and also the ice maker component.
Time: 1 Day Cost: $50 Difficulty: Easy
  • This one is more of what the finish looks like after it's primed.
  • My fridge after I "primed" it with a coating of chalk!
  • Before & After photo. This is also what it looks like after it's sponged clean. Nice and black and slick.
  • Taping off the ice maker unit for spray paint.
  • 2 coats of magnetic primer allows you to still stick magnets to the fridge.

To see more: http://www.prettypurpledoor.com/projects/chalkboard-refrigerator/

• Jessica Mulinix
    Jessica Mulinix Boise, ID
    I think this may very well be next week's project for Monday! It'll help distract our 4 year old from the vet appt that her puppy has to go in and get spayed. She is always asking to use her chalk, and the cheap boards that we have bought her just aren't
  • Lori
    Lori Canada
    That looks really great and I'm surprised it turned out so well. It wouldn't work for me because I'd never let anyone touch it, being a bit on the OCD side, but that's my problem. Good for you. :)
    • Amy
      Amy Old Forge, PA
      Lori certainly not for everyone -- haha. The messages that appear on that fridge crack me up. I should take photos and make a flip book.
  • Judy Parkey
    Judy Parkey Madill, OK
    The idea in the thehandmadehome.net will work for me - chalkboard paint but not in black! I currently have black kitchen cabinets and trim and want to paint over it. I sure don't want a black fridg. I can make a chalkboard paint with a color coordinated
  • Melinda Lockwood
    Melinda Lockwood Columbia, MO
    Think this is great if you have little ones at home!
  • Shuesler
    shuesler Switzerland
    I think the idea in and of itself is great...but that chalk paint is difficult to clean and I think the fridge looks quite dirty after the writing is cleaned off. I suppose I am a bit picky.
    • Amy
      Amy Old Forge, PA
      Shuesler yeah. i guess it's not for everyone. just wipe it with water and it's fine. i've had it for 3 years -- works for me. thanks for your note :)
Amy