Hometalk.com

Removing Microwave Stains

I've been slowing making my way through the kitchen and yesterday I cleaned the microwave. The burned-on stains are the tough to remove but with a trick up my sleeve the task was much easier. Fill a bowl with 1/2 cup of vinegar and 1/2 cup of water. Bring the mixture to a boil for about 30 seconds in the microwave and then stop the heating mode. Let it stand for several minutes. The vapor will help loosen up the stains and make them much easier to remove. #CleaningTricks

To see more: http://blog.homespothq.com/2013/01/microwave-cleaning-trick/

18 Comments Displaying 15 of 18 comments | See Previous
  • Debbie Rescue, CA
    Can you use vinegar somehow to clean the stove burnt on stuff from the oven vent?
  • I used lemon juice and water too....works great!
  • Mary Hare Jamesville, NY
    I just boil water in it, let is sit for 5 min and wipe down with paper towel.. works every time.
  • Lynn Lawson Calhoun, GA
    I do what Mary Hare does. Boil a cup of water in it, let sit for 5 minutes and then wipe down. It works perfectly and at no cost for vinegar or lemons - no after smell either.
  • Bwlservs Canada
    This works wonderful with 2 tbls of lemon juice in the bowl also helps to smell nice
  • HomeSpot HQ Durham, NC
    M Gail Greene, vinegar is an amazing chemical that works well in many situations.
  • Sherry Fisher Grove City, OH
    I nuke my dishrags for about 30 seconds and wipe the mike down too ;)
  • Helen M Indianapolis, IN
    boiling plain water works just fine, but if you want it to have a clean smell, add some baking soda to the water.
  • Dusti B Carmichael, CA
    What about the yellow staining from burned microwave popcorn? I have both vinegar and lemon and will go try it AGAIN. (Kid's friend burned popcorn AARRGGH a few weeks ago. I have scrubbed and scrubbed but the stain is still there...)
  • HomeSpot HQ Durham, NC
    Dusti B, trying multiple applications is a good idea. You may have to resort to a commercial cleaner. I suppose it is also possible the stain was so bad that it resulted in discoloration on the surface? At any rate, I feel your pain.
  • Dusti B Carmichael, CA
    Thanks. Already used commercial (gag/hack/cough) cleaners to no avail. Sigh. Daughter's friend is not allowed to cook/nuke at my house any more. :)
  • Diana Dray Harrod, OH
    I mix some pinesol or mr. clean with water in a spray bottle. Spray the inside of your microwave. Let sit for a few minutes and wipe clean. I also do this for the top of my stove.
  • Dusti B Carmichael, CA
    It's lighter but still permanently stained. It's really clean/sanitary!
  • Dusti B Carmichael, CA
    I am pretty OCD about my kitchen being clean/sanitary etc. I know almost immediately if somebody splatters the microwave or cooks greasy stuff on the stove. Black glass top gas stove is wonderful for cooking...shows dirt/oil so I clean it a lot. Just
  • Wanda Forrest Huntington, TX
    I have saved quite a bit of money by using a mixture of original blue Dawn & vinegar for most cleaning in my house. For tubs, I spray this mixture all over the tub and then sprinkle baking soda over that, let it sit 5 min. and then just wipe stains and