Hometalk.com

Awesome Remodels 02.11.14

Getting the most from Valentine's Day flowers

If Hometalk members follow the general trend, nearly one in four of us will purchase flowers or plants for someone on Valentine's Day, and nearly half of those purchases will be roses, more than 200 million of which will be produced for the holiday. Here are three tips for getting the most from those high-priced blooms:

1. Keep the vase filled with water containing floral food. Yes, it makes a difference. If a packet doesn't come with the flowers, or when that runs out, you can make your own using a quart of warm (100 degree) water mixed with one tablespoon of sugar and one teaspoon of liquid bleach, stirred until blended. If the water becomes cloudy, replace it.

2. Re-cut the stems by a minimum of one inch before you put the flowers in the vase. Use a sharp knife so you don't crush the cells of the stem, impinging water uptake. Cut on a 45-degree angle to expose more stem surface. Remove any foliage below the water line. Re-cut the stems by half an inch every other day.

3. Display your flowers away from extremes of either light or heat. A cool spot of 65 to 72 degrees is ideal. Keep them away from the

8 Comments Displaying 8 of 8 comments
  • Thank you for this info! I use cut flowers in my home all the time and this will come in handy. I'm clipping it!
  • Miriam I New York, NY
    Great tips!!
  • Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    Thanks for the tips. And great timing. I was pretty excited that some flowers I bought are still bright and alive after almost 2 weeks. I ran out of flower food, though. I will have to try your DIY formula.
  • Laura V Charlotte, NC
    thanks for the tip!
  • Connie H Wimauma, FL
    floral wire is helpful as well. =>
  • Patty Morgan Philadelphia, PA
    My favorite gift for Valentines has been getting a bag of bulbs for my garden. It is so much fun seeing them come up every year.
  • Ashley Rane Sparks Santa Ana, CA
    This is very helpful. Does the same thing hold true for roses (or any other flowers) cut from my yard? Do you know a way to make hydrangeas last longer once cut?
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    It would hold true for roses, and most cut flowers from your garden, although poppies, for example, need to be sealed, and some things with woody stems benefit from lightly crushing the stems with a pliers or hammer. I've always found hydrangeas to be
  • Likes

Donna Shipley-Richie Linda B Wet & Forget Joyce A. Collins Virginia Hale Sherleen Z Hilda Marchesin Mary Folowell Carol L Barb Rosen Linda Hudgins