Asked on Mar 14, 2017

What should I use for painting my kitchen cabinets?

JanieDebbie motleyNiki Gill
+5

What is the best paint? Should I use a paint brush or spray?
    William

Spray paint fumes are toxic and there will be overspray of the paint.

Remove the doors and hardware. Mark the doors and cabinets with tape where they go. Lightly sand the doors and cabinets to remove any gloss. Prime with a stain blocking primer like Zinsser 123. Then paint with your color. Seal with at least three coats with a water based polyurethane. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.
    • Janie
      Janie

What kind of paint? I had painted them before using latex painT but am not happy with the results. I read somewhere to use marine paint. I don't want to use an oil based paint. Is there a "right" paint for kitchen cabinets?
    William

Any acrylic latex paint. Marine paint would be overkill. Most Hometalkers use acrylic latex, some have use chalk paint. Not familiar with chalk paint.

• Johnchip
    Johnchip

William is right and maybe most important is use foam brushes, smooth and slow.
  • Niki Gill
    Niki Gill

I just did my cabinets - I used Nuvo cabinet paint. I got it on amazon and my cabinets are gorgous!!! nice bright white!!
  • Debbie motley
    Debbie motley

Lowe's sells cabinet paint that suppose to take only one coat, not true. I painted my cabinets black. Took about 4 coats. I like them but just to much trouble. I did not know about chalk paint then if I had of known that's what I would have used. I have done several pieces of furniture with it and I love. No prep, just make sure your cabinets are clean. You can buy chalk paint at Lowe's but you can make your own, much cheaper. You can go on internet and find all kinds of info on chalk paint. Good look.
  • Janie
    Janie

I had painted the cabinets a few years ago with Lowes paint. The paint is not holding up well and is hard to keep clean. Is chalk paint easy to clean? Does it stand up to lots of wear?