Paints and stains-Is there an alternative to Unicorn spit stain?

MollygoochDenise Dyer MillerHaley Dawn
+9

• Dl.5660408

Could you give more information? What is it that you want to paint or stain?
  • Lisa Thomas

Glass
  • Trudy

I have been wondering the same thing, that stuff is really expensive and you have to buy lots of bottles to get that wild look. I know you can turn any color latex paint into a stain for wood by diluting it with water, but it won't be vibrant.
  • Annie

I just used acrylics on wood, and the result is nearly identical.
    Still wet and unsealed in photo.
  • Haley Dawn

I think I figured out that unicorn spit is hair dye...this is a board I did with manic panic perfect intensity and dollar tree hair dye...the sheen in the middle is just where I added some opal magic to try something...I did this quick in the middle of the night when I had an ephinany so I could make it look a lot better with a little effort

• Denise Dyer Miller

I would like to hear from more artists who have an alternative to the very expensive-not sure it's worth it- unicorn spit. I'm wondering if art oil paint might not get a like result?? Hair dye?? Worth a shot. Thanks!

• Mollygooch

I’m also wondering if mica powder might give the same effect mixed with a little acrylic paint??