How do you apply polyurethane over stain and not have bubbles¿

+3
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jan 05, 2018
    Thin layers, don't load your brush too full, so that you are not laying down too much. We use foam brushes a lot of the time, it is easier to go easy on the polyurethane for us and don't go over the same area too much. Make sure it is dry enough before you start the next layer. Hope this helps you some. We use poly over both paint and stain and have never had it bubble yet, knock on wood. I just love the durability of poly.

• William William on Jan 05, 2018
    I agree with Nancy. I use a foam brush with thin light coats moving slowly in long strokes.

• Leeanne Leeanne on Jan 05, 2018
    Do not shake the poly. Sir very slowly to avoid bubbles from forming. If they do form? Blow with a hot hair dryer on low but keep the dryer moving so it doesn't cause a fire.

• Leeanne Leeanne on Jan 05, 2018
    Clarification: after you put poly on project, use hair dryer on the project not the can of poly itself.

• Sci31377840 Sci31377840 on Jan 05, 2018
    I also agree and hopefully u didn't shake ..stir only..shaking creates bubbles.

• Pom23302899 Pom23302899 on Jan 06, 2018
    Let the stain dry thoroughly 1st. If it is water based and damp it will bubble. Oil and acrylic do not work together. You can use oil OVER acrylic but not under it!