Would like to restain (not paint) kitchen cabinets

+2
The cabinets are now an orangey color and I would like to restain them an expresso brown. How difficult would this be?

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 26, 2017
    Use citristrip to remove the existing stain,clean,retain and seal using a non-yellowing polycrylic

• Mary Clausen Mary Clausen on Dec 26, 2017
    sand the cabinets completely to remove old varnish, wipe down with a tack cloth or wet rag to remove all dust that is left. Because you are going darker it does not matter if you get all the old stain off. If you use the wet rag method make sure they dry completely. Then stain and varnish the cabinets.

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 26, 2017
    I would strip them using a stripper that says specifically on the front of the can that it will strip stain. This is going to be the older kind of strippers that are caustic so wear rubber kitchen gloves and goggles, and ventilate well. I would do the doors out in the garage. I usually use 00-000 steel wool to strip stain out once I've gotten the varnish off using a scraper.
    Let it dry, brush off, and I would use a coat of wood conditioner before staining each piece.
    It the varnish or shellac that turns that orangy color, so make sure to buy a crystal clear top coat.

• Cat Cat on Dec 26, 2017
    Not very difficult but time consuming. I did mine stripped and re-stained. The doors are drawers are mahogany with the frame work being expresso. it added a nice contrast so the it was not a solid wall of dark.