Asked on Nov 17, 2017

Can I use grommet curtains with a traverse curtain rod

by Ire29678907
I want to get rid of my 30+ year old verticals and replace it with curtains. I love the colors I can get with a gommet curtain. Can I use these curtains with a traverse rod?

  6 answers
  • Bobbie Bobbie on Nov 17, 2017

    Traverse rods are often installed pretty close to the wall. Grommet drapes typically need more depth since they have to accommodate the fabric that folds back to the wall. You could try it and if it doesn't work you can do a couple of things. 1) move the traverse rod out to accommodate the drape's needed depth and 2) Just go buy the rod that type of drape needs

  • Inetia Inetia on Nov 17, 2017

  • V Smith V Smith on Nov 17, 2017
    You can turn a traverse rod into a plain rod by removing it's moving parts and then the grommets would easily slide over the rod. But it sounds like you are working with verticle blinds and want to re-purpose that traversing mechanism. If that is the case, I don't think it was built to take the weight of drapery fabric but it might manage sheers. If these are your blinds and not your landlords you can paint them or if you are willing to risk breaking the clips you could try putting a hook thru the curtain and then attaching it to the clip.
    If you have already fallen in love with grommet curtains I would suggest you forego old equipment and buy new pole rods to show off the large grommets.

  • Ire29678907 Ire29678907 on Nov 17, 2017
    I want to get rid of the vertical completely, rod and slats. The traverse will be installed in the same place, which is about 10" from the actual window. I really just want to know if I can use a grommet curtain as opposed to a pinch pleat curtain.