How To Build A Rustic Barn Door Headboard

DIY PROJECTS 5 days ago
We love the look of old barn doors. Ever since building the original doors from salvaged barn flooring - we have wanted to build a few more to make into a headboard.

So with the weather still snowy and cold over the weekend, and no ability to work on the chicken coop or recycled greenhouse project - it was time to cure the winter blahs with a building project! And yes, sadly, as the garage became a temporary workshop, Mary's vehicle was once again the victim and banished to the driveway :).

The headboard can be made with a variety of materials. If you want a rustic look - you could easily use pallet boards and old barn wood to create it completely from recycled materials. It can also be built from simple framing lumber. Ours is a combination of both, along with some salvaged barn hardware saved when we deconstructed two old barns.

Since this was built for a king sized bed - we built it as two separate door frames and then attached them together once in the bedroom. It made it easier to move and work with, not to mention fit through tight hallways! When finished - it measured 6' high x 83" wide.

To see more: http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2013/02/19/how-to-build-a-rustic-barn-door-headboard/

• Mary Alice M
    Mary Alice M San Antonio, TX
    Great looking headboard. Looks like store bought!
  • Lynn Clugston
    Lynn Clugston Rolla, MO
    That is beautiful, would love to see what you do with the linen and color.It has such a warm and cosy look and coloring....just real inviteing.
  • Peggy Pfahler
    Peggy Pfahler Mansfield, OH
    Beautiful!
  • Smiami1948
    Wow what a beautiful head board.
  • Tcl
    Tcl Berea, KY
    beautiful, creative and cured the winter blahs !! bravo !
  • Darlene Shoemaker
    Darlene Shoemaker Sanford, NC
    Beautiful!!
  • Sissy S
    we're did you get the lanterns
  • Susan
    Susan Knoxville, TN
    Beautiful!, want one for my house in the mountains.. Where did you find the big brackets at the top of the headboard and the lanterns? Beautiful job and the staining is remarkable
  • Bodiedk
    Bodiedk Cartersville, GA
    Just beautiful.
  • Bonnie Powers Stopa
    Bonnie Powers Stopa North Pole, AK
    What did you use to attach the headboard to the bed frame?
  • Sue Hebert
    Sue Hebert Spring, TX
    Your headboard is wonderful. Thanks for the nice instructions. You did a wonderful job. Just my opinion, but I think a fabulous quilt would be so beautiful on it.
  • Barbara S
    Barbara S Las Vegas, NV
    just beautiful!!!!!
  • Helen
    Helen Tacoma, WA
    Beautiful isn't a good enough word to use to describe this headboard. Fantastic job.
  • Terri
    Terri Decatur, AL
    LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!!
  • Becky Maxwell
    Becky Maxwell Danville, OH
    I think I'm going to make one of these as a Christmas gift for my grandson!
Old World Garden Farms