Should you replace cast iron plumbing pipes with PVC?

09.28.13
This was recommended to us- old pipes are rusty and leaky.
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    Changing over these pipes to fix leaks is fine. Just understand that there are some drawbacks to PVC. The primary one is not using the correct pipe for the job. The PVC pipes you purchase at the big box stores Schedule 40 is ok, for small jobs. But if
  • One Man and A Hammer, Inc.
    PVC carries no limitations or consequences if the proper pipe is used for the application. Just like with all products, some are better than others for the intended use. Be diligent in asking your contractor what materials are to be used, where they are
  • Alon Petersen
    Alon Petersen Cartersville, GA
    I wrapped leaking cast iron pipes is fiberglass matts and resin...no leaks 5 years later
  • Kitty Wiggins
    Kitty Wiggins Shreveport, LA
    I have a 100 year old house. The cast iron finally cracked. My plumber is thinking he may put back the iron. I'm leaning toward the PVC as the house shifts in really dry/wet weather. What would you put back ????
  • AL
    AL Boston, MA
    I HAVE A VERY SMALL LEAK. BUT ONLY WHEN I FLUSH MY FIRST FLOOR TOILET. A SMALL AMMOUNT OF WATER LEAKS ONTO THE BASEMENT FLOOR. I BELIEVE THIS IS THE OUTGOING WATER, WASTE ETC.. THAT GOES OUT THE MAIN 5 INCH PIPES. THE ACTUAL HOLEE IS 1 INCH BY 2 INCHES.
R.R. R