Hometalk.com

09.28.13

Should you replace cast iron plumbing pipes with PVC?

This was recommended to us- old pipes are rusty and leaky.
10 Comments Displaying 10 of 10 comments
  • Yes, if the pipes are rusty and leaky I would suggest you replace them. How old are the pipes?
  • I agree, replace as much as you can afford. Your problems will be solved for a very long period of time.
  • Ricardo B Alpine, TX
    Reminder... PVC carries it's own complications and limitations, so be careful what you decide.

Where possible (and only to fix that which leaks, bridge in PVC runs but ensure the use of correct thickness of PVC

• Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    I ended up being somewhat forced to do this as part of a much smaller plumbing project, so I think I didn't get the best deal I could have. Be sure to get some estimates and check references, as always.
  • Cast iron pipes will last for many years, but they will eventually rust out from the inside out. The use of caustic chemicals to open clogs can accelerate the process.
  • Changing over these pipes to fix leaks is fine. Just understand that there are some drawbacks to PVC. The primary one is not using the correct pipe for the job. The PVC pipes you purchase at the big box stores Schedule 40 is ok, for small jobs. But if
  • PVC carries no limitations or consequences if the proper pipe is used for the application. Just like with all products, some are better than others for the intended use. Be diligent in asking your contractor what materials are to be used, where they are
  • Alon Petersen Cartersville, GA
    I wrapped leaking cast iron pipes is fiberglass matts and resin...no leaks 5 years later
  • Kitty Wiggins Shreveport, LA
    I have a 100 year old house. The cast iron finally cracked. My plumber is thinking he may put back the iron. I'm leaning toward the PVC as the house shifts in really dry/wet weather. What would you put back ????
  • AL Boston, MA
    I HAVE A VERY SMALL LEAK. BUT ONLY WHEN I FLUSH MY FIRST FLOOR TOILET. A SMALL AMMOUNT OF WATER LEAKS ONTO THE BASEMENT FLOOR. I BELIEVE THIS IS THE OUTGOING WATER, WASTE ETC.. THAT GOES OUT THE MAIN 5 INCH PIPES. THE ACTUAL HOLEE IS 1 INCH BY 2 INCHES.
  • Like

AL