Planting White Potatoes in a Tub or Bucket

JARDIM 04.28.15
For a fun project, try growing Irish potatoes in a tub! It's time to buy the tubers and assemble the supplies now. By growing in perlite, the potatoes come out as clean as a whistle!

See for details: http://www.walterreeves.com/uploads/pdf/pota...

• Diana N
    Diana N Covington, GA
    I tried to grow potatoes in some old garbage cans I had last year. Drilled holes in the bottom for drainage, put in good compost and potting soil (adding more as the vines grew up to the top of the bins) and watered when it was dry in the first few
  • Walter Reeves
    Walter Reeves Decatur, GA
    I wonder if the size of the cans makes a difference? Heat from sunshine can make roots work so hard they don't make potatoes.
  • D. G
    D. G Kingsport, TN
    We have planted potatoes on loose ground under a heavy row of straw and have had success that way with no digging.
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    I grew red, white, and blue potatoes last year; some in the ground and some in pots and a few in a big potato "bag" pot. I was still finding potatoes in the dirt in December. I have volunteers in the garden already. Can't wait to find out which color
  • Joann Williams-dixon
    Joann Williams-dixon Philadelphia, PA
    Do you plant whole potatoes?, cut one into pieces,? The ones in store do not have 'eyes',what is perlite,? available in garden stores? Like D.G.'s idea of loose ground,but am limited to containers (cement city yard).
  • Steve G
    Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    I can answer a couple of your questions, Joan. If you click on Walter's original link, it talks about planting whole or pieces. Some conventionally grown potatoes in stores will likely never develop "eyes." I think you are better off with organic. At
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    I've had volunteers from store potatoes that I pitched in the mulch pile because they had grown too many legs. Can't eat 'em at that point and in the winter I'm not going out in the rain to plant them. Can't wait to see what I have this year.
  • Dee W
    Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    @Walter-I took a chance and just planted my potatoes today. With the crazy weather we've been having I am hoping winter will hold off a bit and I will get a few.
  • Dee W
    Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    Yeah Walter, I have sprouts!!! They are on the inside of the stones.
  • Dee W
    Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    Walter, the plants are doing great- they seem like they have doubled in size. I have one question, there is a dark green color now on top. Is that alright? I have only fertilized them once because we have been getting a little more rain now that the
  • Walter Reeves
    Walter Reeves Decatur, GA
    have they bloomed yet?
  • Dee W
    Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    no, not yet, they are about 4 inches tall and look really healthy
  • Dee W
    Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    Walter Reeves -- I wish I wouold have remembered to take a pic, but I did get potatoes after all! I thought our first frost killed the plants, but after bringing them inside until
  • Joy Hendricksen
    Joy Hendricksen Wisconsin Rapids, WI
    Last year I tried planting potatoes twice in April, both froze. In May I again planted potatoes, organic purple potatoes, just the eyes. In early August I harvested my purple potatoes. :)
  • Darcy
    Darcy Green Bay, WI
    I want to try this......nothing like potato's right out of the ground...
Walter Reeves