Hometalk.com

03.09.12

Concrete counter tops in the kitchen, good or bad?

We are pretty handy and thinking of installing concrete counter tops in our kitchen. Any thoughts or tips. I like the idea of granite/quartz but definitely doesn't fit my budget and I don't want to go tile and like the feel of a stone material.
14 Comments Displaying 14 of 14 comments
  • SawHorse.net Atlanta, GA
    They are an affordable DIY solution and can look nice is properly executed. Concrete is porous and would need to be sealed more often that regular stone. Composites are typically maintenance free.
  • Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    Agreed on affordable. Not as sure on DIY. It's a pretty complicated, time-consuming process, so just know what you are getting yourself into. At the very least, spend some quality time on this site, and get his book:
  • Hmm Concrete countertops as DIY? I love it. but not sure you should do it especially if you are handling cement and it's counter parts for the first time. There is a lot of chemistry involved in this process and is better if left to the Pros.
  • I have seen this done and wouldn't advise a DIY'er. I am very handy and creative, but definately would not attempt this myself. Try to find someone who knows how to do it and is reliable. Get customer referrals and check with Kudzu, Angies list, and
  • Nora Virginia Beach, VA
    I love them. They impart a soft, earthy, hand-crafted element to a room but are absolutely as "luxurious" as natural stone in my opinion. "Pro"s include that concrete is repairable, highly customizable in line with any design theme/color scheme, and
  • SawHorse.net Atlanta, GA
    I have had clients do these themselves and they turned out pretty nice. The final product finish would be determined by the skill set of the person doing the work. I would practice on a small piece of furniture before doing the whole kitchen just to
  • Lisa D Greeley, CO
    Thanks everybody! I will definitely check out the sites you have provided. I forgot to mention that it wont' be little ole me just doing this. My father is a contractor and will be helping me too. @Nora I like the idea of hte soft earthy feel too!
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    I would re-think the concrete as a DIY. I have a few clients who have concrete and they are not entirely happy with it...these folks all had it commercially done and the price was way up there at or above granite...personally I have been doing a lot of
  • Rule4 Building Group Elkridge, MD
    Concrete is becoming more popular, looks great and is greener. But installation is labor intensive and tricky. As per @KMS Woodworks, If you decide to have this done professionally, you may find that the price of the quartz/granite is not much
  • Nora Virginia Beach, VA
    Lisa, I didn't realize you were considering DIY. As a decorative painter, several years ago, I discovered SkimStone while they were still in the process of developing their Bonding Primer to enable DIYers to resurface old laminate and tile counter tops
  • I would agree with SawHorse. It's great you have help from your father but, if neither of you have tried installing concrete counter tops before. I would practice on a piece of furniture. This way you have a much better idea for the process and any
  • Denise G Rembert, SC
    Can't remenber the name of the product but the counter top was made from recycled glass. Strong & pretty. Saw it on some home improvement show
  • you can ' seed ' many things into conc then polish the tops IF you're considering cast-in-place,,, pre/cast are often cast upside down then carried into the house & set into place,,, there isn't an easy learning curve however the 1st lesson is DON'T USE
  • Robert Cartersville, GA
    there is a little more to it if you want them to look like what you see online and the really nice concrete countertops. Check out this company, www.Burcollc.com