Hometalk.com

Wall-mounting a bookshelf

I needed to wall-mount a bookshelf in my apartment, but I'm a renter and I didn't want to drill into the walls. Luckily, I have exposed beams. I decided to hang the bookshelf from the beams with C-clamps.

* Cost Comments:

Total.

Advice:

Do buy very sturdy C-clamps. You can get away with skinnier carabiners.

It was easy! I connected the shelving unit to the C-clamps with small carabiners. I used to climb rocks and do lots of outdoor sports, so I thought of the carabiners. It's a super-sturdy way of mounting heavy objects to beams.

Materials:

Wall-mounted book shelf unit - $0.00

8 Comments Displaying 8 of 8 comments
  • Chaya K New York, NY
    Thanks. This was a no tools, no holes project.
  • Meir W Los Angeles, CA
    Incredibly clever - I love finding ways of doing things without complicated installation.
  • Chaya K New York, NY
    I also hung a hammock in my living room the same way. It's a very sturdy way to hang things without hammering into wall studs.
  • Wow that would be something interesting to see!
  • Chaya K New York, NY
    Yamini, I'll post photos soon! I sort of hit that age where I'm like, "I'm 31-years-old. I'm a home improvement editor. If I want to hang a hammock in my living room, I will." I just sort of feel like because of the weird layout and condition of my
  • "Neccessity is the mother of all Inventions"...I think it is the weir layout in your apartment that is spiking up your creative juices!
  • Chaya, You are one clever DIYer!
  • Sunita P Buford, GA
    If only I had steel protruding out of my walls!
  • Likes

Theresa P Alexandra Arena Terrylynn Mulholland