Using a window for a medicine cabinet door

+5
I am using a small old window for a medicine cabinet door, replacing the glass with a mirror. It is a heavy window so I am going to assume it needs heavy duty hinges. How do I know what type I can use?
  • Lizabethgray Lizabethgray on Sep 27, 2015
    Why not go with older door hinges? Victorian have the great style and industrial would send you off in another direction. It really depends on what kind of profile you want. Hope this helps.
  • CK CK on Sep 27, 2015
    Like lizabathgray says go with the style you'd like to use. Yes, I'd be looking for heavy duty hinges that will fit the size of the cabinet door.
  • Betty Betty on Sep 27, 2015
    I replaced mine with a framed wall mirror that was pretty heavy with a piano hinge so it was not visible when closed. Works great!
  • Sherry Fram Sherry Fram on Sep 27, 2015
    I agree with bsjonz and Becky. I would use a piano hinge too.
  • Z Z on Sep 27, 2015
    I must have had the tab open so long I didn't see bsjonz reply, but yes I agree with her, obviously. :^D
  • Maureen Paynter Maureen Paynter on Apr 28, 2016
    I also took an old window and built a box around it to use as a medicine cabinet. The guy that was going to hang it for me told me to get a piano hinge that can hold 30-50 pounds of weight.
  • Maureen Paynter Maureen Paynter on May 22, 2017
    I built a cabinet to use with an old window. I used a piano hinge. Made for heavy duty weight.