Do you re-use the little sachets of silica that come in shoeboxes, etc

Grace GleasonDeborah Kulka-maclellanM'sMammy
+11

I do- I am currently doing a huge purge, clean and organize project throughout the house. There's a whole lotta totes and freezer bags goin' on. That can mean mould,moisture and mildew if you're not careful. The silica is what's often used to dry flowers,so it really does the job.You can write the date on each packet as you use it, and discard it after awhile. You can also go to stores like Walmart, shoe stores, decorating stores (mine all come from Wicker Emporium,my brother works there) and ask them to keep them for you if you need a lot. Otherwise the ones that come with your occasional purchases should suffice.Please let me know what you think of this re-use idea.
    Janet Pizaro

I throw mine out I am afraid of my dogs getting a hold of them

• Taf
    Taf

I save any packets and place them in storage containers with winter/summer clothes, blankets, books, etc.. I don't know if they help keep the moisture out - but I hope so.

• Barbara Sullivan
    Barbara Sullivan

I do like other Lady TAF ,I have lot of totes in basement & throw about 3-4 in them ,I haven't seen any those I think silverfish bug some thing ---cant' remember name but they like book's & paper ..haven't seen any so must be taking care 2 things'

• Nora Dolan
      Nora Dolan

@Barbara Sullivan They are called silverfish, HATE them! They like damp, too, as do those horrible centipedes, so hopefully this will help keep those away too.

• Anne fenske
    Anne fenske

Hi Taf, yes they do keep moisture out. I even use the ones in vitamin or asprin, etc. for putting in my containers that I use to save seeds. Works wonders. This keeps the mold from attacking the seeds.

• Lisa Mackinnon
    Lisa Mackinnon

I re-use mine. I keep them in my stored away purses, boots and shoes.

• M'sMammy
    M'sMammy

I toss them in my sewing drawer to keep moisture from pins and scissors.

• Grace Gleason
    Grace Gleason

In with the salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Hate the way they get too hard to use otherwise.

• Nora Dolan
      Nora Dolan

@Grace Gleason Wow, never thought of that! I have a disc I keep with my brown sugar, but I wonder how the silica would do with white sugar?

• Deborah Kulka-maclellan
    Deborah Kulka-maclellan

I use them in the boxes I store bathing suits, hats and pocketbooks in.

• Grace Gleason
    Grace Gleason

Eek! Don't dump it in! Put the little packs into the container. I expect it would taste pretty bad! ;-)