Asked on Dec 4, 2015

How to remove scratches from a flat screen TV

Katrina r brammerJinxM8l&Johnchip
+11

My grand baby accidentally scratched the screen with fingernails.
  • Lori Johansen
    Lori Johansen

Before attempting to clean a flat screen TV or remove any scratches, it is important that you use the proper materials. Although it seems like Windex and paper towels can get the job done quickly, these are the worst materials to use. These harsh materials can scratch the screen even further, leaving a dull appearance. Instead, use a mixture of one part rubbing alcohol to 20 parts distilled water to clean fingerprints and smudges. Use a soft, lint-free microfiber cloth to buff away any dirt and debris without damaging the screen. The first method for removing scratches from a flat screen is with isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Begin by cleaning the entire screen with the diluted alcohol mixture. Next, dampen a clean microfiber cloth with the solution and gently rub the scratch in a circular motion. Diligently continue this process until the scratch disappears. Strengthen the solution by adding more rubbing alcohol if there is no change. Never go higher than a half and half solution. Too much rubbing alcohol can damage the screen further.When the scratch disappears, dampen a clean cloth with distilled water and clean the excess alcohol off the screen. Buff the area with a dry cloth to restore the shine. This method works by dissolving the anti-glare coating and filling in the scratch. It works best with light scratches.

• Lori Johansen
      Lori Johansen

@Delores Snellen Was it a very deep scratch? Provided the solution isn't more than 50/50, it should work great on scratches. Takes some time, but have always had good results.

• Johnchip
    Johnchip

Grandkids, can't live with them, and I sure could live without them! Try all my computer screens, my tv's , any surface that can be scratched, they have found it, done it, and think its funny. Can't remove the scratch, no way if it is truly 'scratched'. but to clean, i use plain white vinegar on a cloth that is made to clean eyeglasses, screens etc.. (microfiber?) It is like a soft fabric that does not scratch I found in the kitchen aisle. Any paper product will scratch a bit. Anything but vinegar leaves streaks.

• JinxM8l&
    JinxM8l&

we used Vaseline. I have no ide where my ex got the idea, but it worked. it fills in the scratch, and you can't see it WHILE the tv is on. while it's not on, it looks just like someone smeared Vaseline on the screen. go figure. It's a good temporary fix at least, and it keeps the scratch from distracting you while you're watching tv.

• Katrina r brammer
    Katrina r brammer

I use preparation h to get the screens clean and it takes up to scratch to all you have to do is finger your a******* for about 10 minutes and use a fork when you're finished s***'s great! Have a great day.