What's the most effective way to get rid of mice in the house?

+123

We seem to have some unwelcome Mickeys and Minnies in our house. What is the best way to get rid of them? We have kids and a dog in the house.

q what s the most effective way to get rid of mice in the house, pest control
  • Z Z on May 19, 2014
    I don't know if this will make them leave, as I'm not sure they can find their way back out, but 100% Pure Peppermint Oil (about ten drops) on cotton balls placed throughout your home, will keep them out. Rodents are allergic to peppermint and will steer clear of its scent as long as it's from pure peppermint oil. Not extract. It has to be pure to cause an allergic reaction. Whole Foods has the best price that I know of, but it can be found at health food stores also. To get rid of those you have now, you may have to use traps. Partially cooked bacon or peanut butter works very well to draw them to the trap. Place the traps along the walls behind furniture where your pets and children cannot get to them. Good Luck! P.S. We've used the Pure Peppermint Oil on cotton balls for a decade now and I can attest to how well it works, even living in the country surrounded by corn and bean fields.

• See 1 previous
    • Z Z on May 20, 2014
      @Modifiedgirl by what I have read, all rodents are allergic to Peppermint. I cannot personally attest to that though. I know it has worked for the past ten years to keep mice from the inside of our home.

• Adrianne C Adrianne C on May 20, 2014
    Cats.

• Cortney Cortney on May 20, 2014
    If your dog is ok with it, get a cat. We have an inside outside cat. Takes care of the garden and indoors. The only little rodents we ever see are the dead ones she drops at the door.

• Gretchen Gretchen on May 20, 2014
    We have many indoor cats and a couple of dogs. They only mice were they caught were the ones they saw but we could hear the mice running in the walls and ceilings. I tried peppermint sachets and those electric beeper machines. I finally called an exterminator. The mice were breeding faster than the cats could kill them. When I ran into a mouse coming into the garage when I opened the door and he just sat up and looked at me, that was it. The exterminator comes every few months, checks and restocks the traps if necessary, but recently there haven't even been any nibbles in the bait. Mice carry diseases and fleas and ticks. Their droppings can be dangerous. Get rid of the mice as fast as you can.

• Stacie Vaughan Stacie Vaughan on May 20, 2014
    Cats were helpful for us!

• Jan Kohlman Jan Kohlman on May 20, 2014
    I agree with Becky from NE that 100% pure peppermint oil (not extract) does work. We have had "issues" with the pesky little furry critters in the past, but since using the peppermint oil they have vanished. Instead of putting it on cotton balls, we used some cheap glass salt & pepper shakers from the dollar store, enlarged the holes in the tops of the shakers and put in reed diffusers then added the oil. The only problem for us with using the cotton balls is that you are supposed to add more oil to them daily. As our "happy place" is 200 miles away from home, that wouldn't have been possible. We've used if for 3 years now and it works like a charm!

• Lisa Lisa on May 20, 2014
    i used the 100 % peppermint oil on cotton.. what do i find.. they pooped ON the cotton.. UGH1

• Ida Ida on May 20, 2014
    Where can you find peppermint oil?

• Denise Denise on May 20, 2014
    CATS, CATS, CATS! We live in an old farmhouse with plenty of entries for mice. We have 5 inside cats and lots of outdoor cats. Result: NO MICE!

• See 1 previous
    • Denise Denise on May 20, 2014
      You are so right! Years ago I had some very lazy cats. We would close them in the room with the mice and they would scratch at the door to be let out and then run and hide!

• Shelley Nelson Shelley Nelson on May 20, 2014
    Good ol poison! We had an infestation once when our kids were little and we had two dogs. My husband was against poison but I had had enough. I put boxes of it where our kids couldn't get it. Under our dresser in our room, behind our fridge. Never had another mouse again.

• Lynn Lynn on May 20, 2014
    Figure out how they're getting in. Years ago my husband covered up a pipe that came from the attic to the outside of our house--some kind of vent--and he put screen mesh over the opening. He pretty much inspected every nook and cranny to see what he could do to plug up any holes, and we have had zero mice inside since. But voles? (field mice), they are eating our plants left and right.

• Susan Susan on May 20, 2014
    First you have to search every area of your house to determine where these little guys are entering. These little holes, nooks and crannies are usually located under sinks, cabinets, etc. Once you find these openings, fill them up with stainless steel scouring pads. Works GREAT - better than any other method! Since using this method I've not seen a trace of another little critter!

• Jeanette Sharples Jeanette Sharples on May 20, 2014
    snake poo is the best I put it where they come in and presto not a mouse poo insight for 4 months

• See 1 previous
    • Jeanette Sharples Jeanette Sharples on May 21, 2014
      @Barbara Turner @a friend of mine has a snake so that's were I get the poo from or you can ask the local pet shop

• PLEASE, PLEASE! NO POISON! You're not just poisoning mice, you are putting neighborhood animals and birds in danger! Any cat eating a poisoned mouse, or any of our wonderful owls and birds eating them will die also! We live in the country and don't like mice we that get in either But we won't risk endangering the owls and stray cats in our area - that's just plain irresponsible. Use peppermint or cinnamon oil, or human mouse "capture" traps and release them outside.

• Rosalie S Rosalie S on May 20, 2014
    My cat has been a good hunter in the past, but now she's so old and slow, they would use her for a trampoline. My terrier, however, has taken up the challenge. I have an old house and mice would be a problem except for my little dog. I just have to clean up the carcasses.

• Barbara Turner Barbara Turner on May 20, 2014
      @Rosalie S Yep, terriers were bred over in Scotland and parts of Ireland to hunt rodents - ergo, their name. terriers - terrors to the rodents. Jack Russell dogs were too.

• Ida Ida on May 20, 2014
    @Jan thank you so much

• Karla Minyard Karla Minyard on May 20, 2014
    Borrow a neighbors dirty cat litter & litter box mice think there's a cat

• @Karla Minyard I have mice coming in my dog house some of my dogs won't let the cats in? Do you think this might work there to spread it around the outside?

• Judy Judy on May 20, 2014
    When construction started up in our area, we were overrun with the little critters. We placed dryer sheets in our garage, out door shed, and where ever we thought they were coming in....in the spring we also planted mint around the outside of the house as they don't like it. So for the last 3 years we haven't had a problem....not even one,

• Beth Beth on May 20, 2014
    I will ALWAYS try the most humane solution first. So simple, items we all have in our homes. Take an empty 5 gallon bucket, cover it with wax paper, place peanut butter, bird seed in the center. Find something they can climb up on. I happened to have a ladder from my bird cage.The mice will climb the "ladder" and when the walk across the wax paper after the food,they fall in. In the morning, just carry the bucket to a field, forested area, whatever. Best if done at night. Good luck.

• Great idea Beth - I'll pass that to my hubby who has them in the garage, aka "man cave"!

• Lorraine Lorraine on May 20, 2014
    Absolute BEST solution: The RAT ZAPPER! I agree with all of the above about finding where they enter, etc., and cats (or dogs) will sometimes solve the problem (dependent on too may factors, including their mood, lol), but this device works flawlessly! I love all animals, and hate killing anything, but mice infest and contaminate my food, so it was me or them. I won't use poisons (not only are they toxic to other animals, but they are blood thinners, and horribly inhumane, causing the poor creature to slowly begin to bleed to death -- it can take days--and then where are the bodies?), and trying to trap and release is a never-ending task. So I researched and found a totally HUMANE way of killing them. This battery-operated device electrocutes them instantly the second they step on the little plate inside the box. A red light flashes on top, and the little body can be disposed of by just dumping it out and disposing--no blood or mess, no touching anything. You bait it with any dry (NOT wet, like peanut butter), fragrant food--I use a few dog kibbles--put it in the suspect area (the bottom of my pantry), and I guarantee you will catch the offender(s) within hours to days (sometimes they need to get used to the strange object, but they won't be able to resist the food). Then re-bait (they never get to eat the food, so unless you dumped it with the body, you don't even have to) and re-arm! The first time I used mine, I caught 5-6 mice (who knew?) within a few hrs; since then I catch one every now and then, usually only when the weather changes drastically. The company that made them appears to have been bought out by Victor Pest, so now they are even easier to find: I found one on Amazon today for $36: <http://www.amazon.com/Rat-Zapper-RZC001-Classic/dp/B002665ZTC>; There are videos on YouTube demonstrating them in use, and how quickly it kills the animal. One interesting accessory is a "mouse" on a long wire that attaches onto the device if you have to place it in a hard-to-reach spot. The eyes of this "mouse" flash red when there's a victim to be disposed of. I guarantee this will be the best $36 (mine cost $99, several yrs ago) you have ever spent for pest control, and you won't feel guilty anymore about it.

• Lillyz Lillyz on May 20, 2014
    I have been at war with the mice for about 2 weeks now. I bought 6 of the no see traps and 2 of them were chewed through by the "super" mouse. I baited them with peanut butter. I said enough is enough and went to the hardware store and bought 2 of the old fashioned mouse traps. I also baited those with peanut butter. I put the traps where I was seeing mouse activity and Ive caught about 14 so far (didnt think my problem was that bad). I know its gruesome, but having them get into food or running across the floor in the night is even worse. Oh and I do have a cat, but he just bats them around.

• Chris aka monkey Chris aka monkey on May 20, 2014
    we use the little mouse traps from walmart come with several in pack the just throw away trap and dead mouse xx

• Penny Penny on May 20, 2014
    get a CAT! you wont see any more mice..

• Karen Karen on May 20, 2014
    I have found placing a cotton ball that's been soaked by essence of peppermint keeps them out. Just have to replace it when the Oder has disapated.

• Donna coronado Donna coronado on May 20, 2014
    Glue pads and dog food.

• Melissa Melissa on May 20, 2014
    I have pretty good luck with peppermint EOs also, if you have a known entry point...they dont like steel wool....fill the hole with that and add the peppermint and it will keep them from chewing through...good luck!! (oh and also, peppermint oil is a deterrent for certain insects as well)

• Gail lichtsinn Gail lichtsinn on May 20, 2014
    mice are allergic to mint and will avoid it ..Mice breed every 21 days..Those babies can then breed..I have no fear of mice but if you see one you have many..Mice carry bacteria on their feet from going through garbage they urinate on your counters..they chew wiring and carry disease that can make your whole family sick..Better to keep them out or destroy them....Sticky traps are inhumane..They cant move and sometimes take a few days to die..Get a trap that will instantly kill them..seems to me drowning is cruel too..

• Vonzella Crawley Vonzella Crawley on May 21, 2014
    MY CAT HAS CAUGHT 4 IN THE LAST FEW SAYS WE HAVE HAD A LOT OF RAIN HERE SO I WOULD REALLY LOVE TO TELL YOU TO GET A CAT BUT THE BEST THING I HAVE FOUND IS THE NO KILL TRAPS IF IT DOES NOT BOTHER YOU TO KILL THEM THEN THE BLUE P IS THE BEST GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GREAT DAY

• Karen Miller Karen Miller on May 27, 2014
      @Vonzella Crawley My cat is useless. When he hears the noise of a mouse (in the wall) he sits there and follows it with his eyes but if he ever seen one, he wouldn't care. He only swats at flies and eats them afterwards.... he's great at that though! lol

• Mistie Mistie on May 21, 2014
    The plug in noise makers. We used them 20 yrs ago in California ( they have rats!!! ) when my husband had tried everything known to man I went and purchased 2. Each one covers 1000 sq feet. Our home at that time was 1200. The man said it would drive the field mice crazy and we may see more for a week or two. We never saw another one!!

• See 1 previous
    • Mistie Mistie on Jun 25, 2014
      Elizabeth our house was 1200 sq feet the first time I used them. The ones I had covered 1000 sq feet so I put one in my kitchen and then one in the spare room. I did the same in our current house and have never seen one. You could do both if you'd like. Just get them from a hardware store. I don't think the ones at Walmart work as well:)

• Mistie Mistie on May 21, 2014
    Mice are smart. If you use traps they remember where they are. Sure you'll kill a few but they breed very quickly. With the poison they could does in your walls creating another problem. The noise maker just drives them crazy and people and pets can't hear it. Only mice ( rodents ) and bugs. Mine are 11 years old and still work. I purchased them at a hardware store for $16.99 each. I have heard the Walmart brand doesn't work as well. It's humane and simple. Not to mention long term. You should never reuse traps etc bc of disease. Since they carry disease why would you want to draw more in with poison?

• Lynda Hawkins Buchanan Lynda Hawkins Buchanan on May 21, 2014
    Cats I got two and haven't seen a mouse in years

• Wabbitears Wabbitears on May 21, 2014
    Peppermint Oil: I used make-up sponges to put peppermint oil on and distributed them to every cabinet and drawer, storage pantry and a couple dropped behind a coffee pot or drain. He certainly never said good-bye to me but any rat / mouse evidence cannot be found in my houses, and there's not been one roach seen in my house for the last year. Also works great in the garbage can, no gnats, no ugly smell. LOVE IT!

• KathrynElizabeth Etier KathrynElizabeth Etier on May 21, 2014
    I'm sure someone else has suggested it, but--cats! We have three, and no mouse even gets into the house.

• Joyce Jenkins Joyce Jenkins on May 28, 2014
      @KathrynElizabeth Etier I have cat everywhere around my house and still get mice. I bet my neighbor has 6 or more and I have one that stays in and out. h he catches them but I still have mice. I will try the peppermint oil.

• Tina Tina on May 21, 2014
    Will the peppermint oil on cotton balls work for the little chipmunk that calls our garage home?!!

• Wabbitears Wabbitears on May 27, 2014
      @Tina Oh yes, they cannot bear to breathe in the fumes for long at all. Animals have a heightened sense of smell and what is useful for finding food is also their achilles heel. I love that (in Florida) I have NO roaches either.

• Karen Webster Karen Webster on May 21, 2014
    Does peppermint also work on rats?

• Wabbitears Wabbitears on May 27, 2014
      @Karen Webster It works on any animal with a heightened sense of smell - which includes most wild animals. They can't stand the strength of smell and move on to better digs that smell like earth. Moth Balls, also, can be used - especially if it's not in your house as you'll have weepy eyes just like the animals will. They have to be replaced a little more often but since they are cheap, you can afford to easily. I like using smell to rid yourself of pests. Since my dog doesn't hide out in the cabinets or pantry, she isn't bothered. Outside where I used moth balls to head off a mother possum trying to make a home under the grill cover, my dog won't go under there and that suits me fine.

• Karen Miller Karen Miller on May 22, 2014
    If you have a hole in which the mice can enter your home,fill it with STEEL WOOL. I had at least one mouse in my apartment last year and the exterminator was called and tried the peanut butter method and the piece of chocolate method and neither worked. After the mouse finally found it's way out again, they told me to block any hole with the steel wool because that is the only thing the little buggers can't chew through. That would be plain old steel wool, nothing like an SOS pad.

• Sandra Brown Sandra Brown on May 22, 2014
    Dry rice

• Glenda D Glenda D on May 23, 2014
    Try bay leaves scattered every where you can. and Yes plug up the holes.

• MIce need Food, water and shelter. Eliminate food sources around your home such as grass seed in garage/shed, pet food in the house and bird seed in open bags. Put in sealed containers. A rodent population will grow in direct accordance to the amount of food, water and shelter they have. Seal exterior entry points from the outside of your home. Sealing interior holes does very little if the mice are already in. Use expanding foam, copper mesh or any material that will prevent rodents from entering. Check out www.thebugstore.net for more

• Karen Miller Karen Miller on May 25, 2014
    The mouse I had in my place came from the neighbors next door/upstairs apartment so it was already in the wall. That was the only time I had a problem, thankfully. Steel wool is now in the hole in the wall it came through. The little cracker thief! lol

• Ellen Nahrwold Ellen Nahrwold on May 25, 2014
    A lot next to us is being developed and now we have mice. I've done the peppermint, it works until the scent fades (which envelops the whole area and can be overwhelming) and then you do more, and then more...and then you keep buying the peppermint oil, and once you run out, they still come back. The mice are in our walls and come into the kitchen behind the cabinets and through the stove, so there is no way to plug the holes with steel wool. I've done all types of traps, and these guys are just smart...they know, and they avoid them. My next move will be the plug ins that emit a sound. Luckily we no longer have guinea pigs, the poor things would suffer. I feel your struggles...they are clever. Good luck!

• Lorraine Lorraine on May 26, 2014
    As I noted in my earlier post, the device called The Rat Zapper is the ONLY fool-proof and humane method for eliminating the problem of mice. Even if they do get in, they will inevitably be attracted to food, and this will kill them instantly. They don't "learn" to avoid it because none live to tell the tale. Forget about endlessly buying peppermint, or adopting a cat that you may not really want (that's never a good idea, and it may not be a natural "mouser"anyway), etc.-- spend the $39 ONCE and the only thing you'll ever have to worry about is disposing of the bodies ( I toss them outside, the crows love them!) and occasional batteries.

• See 2 previous
    • Marion Nesbitt Marion Nesbitt on Jun 06, 2014
      @Lorraine LOL - "none live to tell"

• Betsy99 Betsy99 on May 28, 2014
    Look for holes/spaces around pipes entering your house. Fill with steel wool. I use dryers softener sheets under my sink and anywhere I think the critters have traveled. You can use the cheap store brand or dollar store brand. I also have a cat.

• Kadriye C Kadriye C on Jun 03, 2014
    I've read this years ago about dryer sheets. So I go to dollar store buy boxes of them. Been using dryer sheets in all the dresser drawers, behind furniture, in the trunk of our car and in every nook and carney of our RV. So far so good, not a single rodent.

• How safe are the noise makers for domestic birds? I've read it doesn't bother cats/dogs, but nothing about little feathered friends.

• Mistie Mistie on Jun 05, 2014
      It's supposed to be fine for domestic animals. I would call and verify though.

• Katherine Donnelly Katherine Donnelly on Jun 04, 2014
    we use pure peppermint oil on cotton balls, we put them in our garage ans in the back of our lower cabinets in our camper, worked like magic. no more mice. Plus a bonus, the camper smelled so fresh after not bein g able to camp for two weeks. Last summer we even tried peppermint and spearmint chewing gum that our son had left at the camper, worked just as well. :)

• MIce need Food, water and shelter. Eliminate food sources around your home such as grass seed in garage/shed, pet food in the house and bird seed in open bags. Put in sealed containers. A rodent population will grow in direct accordance to the amount of food, water and shelter they have. Seal exterior entry points from the outside of your home. Sealing interior holes does very little if the mice are already in. Use expanding foam, copper mesh or any material that will prevent rodents from entering. Check out www.amtechct.com

• Lezlie Lezlie on Jun 06, 2014
    Peppermint oil on cotton balls in the backs of cabinets, bedroom closets (because they love nesting there), and in your basement. Fill places with steel will where they can squeeze into your home, set traps for those unable to get back out, and you should have a mouse-free house in no time.

• Lezlie Lezlie on Jun 06, 2014
    Steel wool.....really should wear my cheater readers when typing.

• Pat Helmer Pat Helmer on Jun 06, 2014
    Cedar chips are toxic to them. I leave open containers or old socks filled with them in drawers and closets. They need to be replaced every year.

Really good tips.

• Mistie Mistie on Jun 06, 2014
    I always used 2 that covered 1000 sq feet each. That way it covered further than my home area.

• Patti Atchison-Shelton Patti Atchison-Shelton on Jun 07, 2014
    @Mistie - I'd like to know, as well. Two what? Rat Zappers? Noise makers? ???

• Jane White Jane White on Jun 07, 2014
    @Mistie 2 what? We'd all like very to know.

• Diane Finley Diane Finley on Jun 07, 2014
    Peppermint oil works like a charm!

• DON'T BOTHER with DRYER SHEETS....I tried them at strategic spots and the mouse ATE THEM! I had to laugh..........

• Diane Diane on Jun 08, 2014
    Get a cat.

• See 1 previous
    • Dawn Dawn on Apr 17, 2015
      I HAVE a cat. Mouse just whips around like he has jet feet. This cat hunts outside very well but inside the mouse outsmarts him by using the "dodge". Behind cereal boxes, shoes and stuff that no mouse should be able to do. I think this is a super genius mouse! However, as my mum used to say "Where there is one mouse there are another 22 hiding!"

• Lezlie Lezlie on Jun 13, 2014
    Panic update!!!....: I was away for a few days after confidently posting about this. I saw a black little thing....thought it was a dropping... on the top of my stove when I got home. (There again, didn't have my cheater readers on). Turned out it was only a bug. I always dust window and door entry ways, and around kitchen, with cinnamon and cloves, and Re-dab the cotton balls with peppermint oil. A quiet house is an automatic invite for pests and teenage son's to gather their troops and take over. (I'm still trying to figure out how to keep sons and their troops from invading while I'm gone and they're supposed to be at dad's). The scents will deter most pests. I welcome suggestions re kids

• Ellen Nahrwold Ellen Nahrwold on Jun 13, 2014
    Update...I had had enough and was determined to settle for poison. I've tried to avoid it, I'm not a fan. While I was at Winco yesterday, I went to get poison, and there was one of those noise devices. I bought it. Our cat waited for hours last night for activity beneath the fridge...and...nothing! So, so far, so good!

• JohnCS JohnCS on Oct 23, 2015
      @Ellen Nahrwold if you poison inside the house, the rodent will die in it's nest in the house--leading to other issues.

• Lezlie Lezlie on Jun 14, 2014
    @Ellen....Good deal for you :)

• Mistie Mistie on Jun 14, 2014
    That's awesome Ellen! I'm glad they worked for you. We originally got them over. 20 yrs ago. California has a rat problem!!!! Eek! Anyway they worked then and always worked for us too. Idk how big your house is but I would prob get another to be on the safe side!

• Vonzella Crawley Vonzella Crawley on Jul 01, 2014
    thanks everyone for your answers I have gotten 3 cats and no more rats !!!!!

• Re the kids...Put an additional dead bolt on your doors that only you and the trusted person have keys for. Do not give the teen a key to this and only use it when you go away and they are suppose to stay else where.

• Jane Jane on Jul 04, 2014
    Get a Cat.

• Gbe364835 Gbe364835 on Jul 06, 2014
    We had mice last year and the solution for us was to make sure all small openings were closed. We got some traps and put them in front of any opening we thought of, caught them, and closed those spaces. I read that poisoning could lead them to die slowly and possibly in the walls... Also I read that cats are kind of lazy haha and that they will only feed on mice if they aren't fed elsewhere! I hope they are gone by now!

• Dawn Dawn on Apr 17, 2015
      Yup! They die just out of reach of anything or any invention to get at them and then your whole house smells "funky" for what feels like years....

• Pat R Pat R on Jul 10, 2014
    I have roof rats, what is the solution for that. I spent $1, 500 to seal around the soffits--to no avail. They are back. I have used poison, is there another solution?

• See 2 previous
    • JohnCS JohnCS on Oct 23, 2015
      @Pat R I found out from Critter Control that there is a rodent resistant insulationi that can be use in your attac that the rodents don't like.

• Penny Penny on Jul 11, 2014
    huge cats!!! maybe a tiger or a mountain lion!!! lol! ;0\

• Mice will flourish when they have 1) Food 2) Water 3) Shelter. If you have birdfeeders, grass seed in the garage and pet food in the house, you're going to have a big rodent population. Mice reach optimal reproduction when they have these three things. Eliminate just one (mainly the food) and you will greatly reduce the population. Try to store all the above in sealed containers. Deny the mice what they need to survice. In addition, seal (EXTERIOR) entry points using copper mesh, expanding foam or whatever is appropriate for the situation. For more information including diseases mice carry, go to http://www.amtechct.com/rodents

• Curt Warkentin Curt Warkentin on Jul 13, 2014
    One trick I have not tried yet I heard works is a 5 gallon pail with a few inches of water in the bottom. Smear some peanut butter around the inside of the pail low enough mice can't reach it but can smell it... then set up a board they can follow to the top of the pail... they fall in and drown since they can't get out. A buddy suggested that for my farm. I may just burry pail in ground a ways to make life easier. Scoop dead mice out as necessary (with a net or anything you wish).

• Lillyz Lillyz on Jul 14, 2014
      @Curt Warkentin this might work. I found a mouse in my top loading washing machine. How he got in there is a mystery to me. I turned the hot water on and then got gloves and fished him out of there, he was still alive. He tried to bite me. Good thing I wore gloves!

• Lola Lola on Jan 06, 2015
    First find where they are coming into the house. I actually followed one and saw it scoot down a gap around the hot water heat copper pipe. Get some black steel wool that you buy as a "pillow, " and NOT the soap infused steel wool scrubbing pads. Pull off a wad - it looks and feels like cotton candy and stuff it into the hole or gap. A mouse will not chew or mess with it. It solved our mouse problem permanently. So if you see a mouse it is probably looking for it's way out and since they're blind they run along a wall and have to remember where they entered. Look under the sink around the plumbing and anywhere there are holes in the floors and walls.

• Grady Grady on Jan 09, 2015
    What kind of dog is it? And I advise getting a cat or five cats.

• Lots of traps (not poison bait!) and a hungry cat!

• Capernius Capernius on May 02, 2015
    Now I will admit to being an uneducated man, so I will also admit to not having all the answers to every Q(Only GOD can do that). SO there are only 2 methods that I know of that will get rid of mice/rats/SOME bugs without doing any harm to the children and/or pets. TOTALLY POISON FREE!! #1) get a cat or 3 It may take a few weeks for the house to be mouse free, but eventually it will be free of mice. #2) mint. spearmint, peppermint,....ANY kind of mint. Mice/rats/ & even some bugs hate the smell of mint & will do anything to get away from it. this will take a while longer then if you had a cat, but it does work. Personally, I prefer the cat method...but I also understand that some people live in a rented apartment/home & are not allowed to have pets of any kind. The mint is nice because #1) it will make your home smell invitingly wonderful #2) it is safe for all humans, regardless of size of age(unless you are allergic to it). #3) I have never heard of any cat or dog getting sick from eating mint. How do you use mint to get rid of mice/rats/some bugs? find out where the critters are getting into the home. Fill these holes with mint leaves. After filling the holes with mint, seal up the holes. I do not mean caulking them shut, the mice will chew through that....no I mean using a piece of wood or metal to seal up the holes. the better you seal up the holes, the less chance there is of the mice coming back. Essential oils will work as good as the peppermint leaves will. I have heard of some people stuffing the holes with both mint AND steel wool.... I know nothing about steel wool, but I do know that mint work fairly quickly. However you choose to rid your home of these vermin, I wish you the best of luck. :)

• Lagree Wyndham Lagree Wyndham on May 18, 2015
    I have house on raised foundation, I keep Decon poison under the house in crawl space year round. Been in house 12 plus years never had on inside house.

• See 1 previous
    • Lagree Wyndham Lagree Wyndham on May 19, 2015
      @Joyce ogilvie Did not know that, but when I had mobile home at same location, I fought with field mice every year, did not use decon then just traps??? I think they eat before they decide to come in. Just guessing.

• Grady Grady on May 19, 2015
    Get a cat. They should take care of the problem.

• Riserman Riserman on May 20, 2015
    I had mice,not wanting to kill them I bought a good live capture trap.caught about 5 mice and relocated them now no more mice and I fell better that I didn't kill them,cute little creatures just trying to survive.

• Jim Buth Jim Buth on May 20, 2015
    I've had good luck with Oil of Peppermint from local drug store. Get a bag of cotton balls, soak them with a bit of peppermint oil and place every where mice might hide or travel. Remember where you put the cotton balls as you need to replace or re-soak every week or two. Mice don't like the smell and will leave. Good luck. Smells nice also.

• Kinsky Kinsky on Jun 10, 2015
    ....Also fill any holes you find with steel wool as well as p/mint cotton balls.

• Start by eliminating what they need to survive, They can't live too long without food. Use sealed containers to put all your food in. If you have pets, make sure you put the pet food in sealed containers also. Mice love pet food, grass and bird seed etc. Place traps...many traps, perpindicular to the wall. Mice follow lines/like to run against another surface. Use food or even cotton on the traps. Mice pull the cotton to use as nesting material. It's more difficult for mice to remove the cotton without getting caught. Mice are naturally curious and will investigate anything new in their environment. Rats are the opposite. They will avoid anything new in their environment. Therefor, with rats it's important to pre-bait the traps. Place the rat trap without setting it to go off. In this way, the rat gets used to eating from this "new" item without getting hurt. Once you gain their confidence, then you can set the traps. This takes about four to six days. See the video. Notice how the rat runs back when he sees the trap that wasn't there the night before. http://www.amtechct.com/rodent-control

• Brenda Albright Brenda Albright on Sep 07, 2015
    I am concerned at the number of people suggesting cats. Mice carry many diseases and if a mouse has eaten DeCon and the cat tries to eat the mouse the cat will ingest that poison and die too. Cats don't survive by eating mice. They may eat them but don't keep them down. My dear kitty nearly died after getting Toxoplasmosis just from being around old mouse dropping when she got into the drop ceiling of a house we had just moved into. That was a very scary and expensive situation.

• Kjhawkins Kjhawkins on Sep 20, 2015
    Any ideas on how to get rid of them outside? We have never had them inside, but my neighbor and I have both seen some recently running along the top of the backyard fences. Really fast little things! Also, we have squirrels and don't want to harm them.

• UpState UpState on Jan 12, 2016
    3 Ways...Pepsi - they drink it and explode...Sponges drenched in Pepsi - they get exhausted chewing the sponge, then explode....Wolverines - they can eat mice very easily.

• Jeann Jeann on Jan 21, 2016
    I put a couple drops each peppermint and spearmint oil on cotton balls and place in cupboards and under sink. Mice hate the odor and will not come back. I've used this method in city apartments and houses and country farms for many years. There is the added bonus of fresh clean smelling cupboards.

• Curt Warkentin Curt Warkentin on Mar 29, 2016
    I work as a maintenance man for a house rental company. The very FIRST thing we do is look for how the mouse/mice entered the property. You can use all the best mouse traps and electronic noise makers but nothing will work until you seal their entrance. After you have found how they got in and sealed it up then go about killing the mice. I have found the most effective is a metal box trap, but do NOT empty them when you catch a mouse. If they enter and are trapped in a box trap they will attract other mice. This makes them feel safe and comfortable in the box and it increases your success. You will need to empty it once in a while but don't be in a rush to empty it at the first sign of a single mouse being caught. Just my 2 cents hope it helps.

• See 2 previous
    • Jo-Anne Tucker Jo-Anne Tucker on Dec 29, 2020

What sort of box to catch the mice’s

• UpState UpState on Mar 30, 2016
    Once the first mouse is in the metal box...do you keep feeding it with food & water inside the box for several days or weeks ?

• Curt Warkentin Curt Warkentin on Nov 06, 2019
    I leave them to starve. But maybe once a week empty it. Or if there is any mice alive in the trap still just drown them.
    The metal box traps have a one way door in sides. Mice can enter but once inside they cant get out. Some people also put the sticky pads inside them. Once a mouse walks on the sticky pad it cant get off it. Those you can simply dunk in a water bucket if you have a mouse stuck to it until the mouse is dead also. A bit easier to clean the trap that way.
    I have also seen very effective 5 gallon pails used as cheap mouse traps. Run a coat hanger across the top with an empty pop can suspended in the center of the pail. Add 6 to 8 inches of water to the bottom of the pail. Then spread peanut butter around the center of the pop can. Mice will try and walk across the coat hanger to get the peanut butter. Once they try to climb onto the pop can in the center it spins freely and the mouse falls into the pail. If you do not have water in the pail mice are capable of jumping out of 5 gallon pails. So without the water you wont catch any mice. This trap drowns mice and is best emptied daily once the mice in it stop swimming. YouTube has great how to videos on how to make some excellent 5 gallon pail traps. And they even show videos of mice jumping out of 5 gallon pails to prove they can do it if you dont drown them.

• Elizabeth Penrose Elizabeth Penrose on Apr 19, 2020

Plant peppermint around your house, it makes a great barrier, they hate it.

• JD JD on Oct 14, 2020

I heard bout that. I'm going to try it