How to get rid of mice?

+105

We seem to have some unwelcome Mickeys and Minnies in our house. What is the best way to get rid of them?

q what s the most effective way to get rid of mice in the house, pest control
  • Z Z on May 19, 2014
    I don't know if this will make them leave, as I'm not sure they can find their way back out, but 100% Pure Peppermint Oil (about ten drops) on cotton balls placed throughout your home, will keep them out. Rodents are allergic to peppermint and will steer clear of its scent as long as it's from pure peppermint oil. Not extract. It has to be pure to cause an allergic reaction. Whole Foods has the best price that I know of, but it can be found at health food stores also. To get rid of those you have now, you may have to use traps. Partially cooked bacon or peanut butter works very well to draw them to the trap. Place the traps along the walls behind furniture where your pets and children cannot get to them. Good Luck! P.S. We've used the Pure Peppermint Oil on cotton balls for a decade now and I can attest to how well it works, even living in the country surrounded by corn and bean fields.

• See 6 previous
    • Jacqueline Jacqueline on May 07, 2022

Get a cat ! My cat gets them every time!

• Stacie Vaughan Stacie Vaughan on May 20, 2014
    Cats were helpful for us!

• Jan Kohlman Jan Kohlman on May 20, 2014

I agree that 100% pure peppermint oil (not extract) does work. We have had "issues" with the pesky little furry critters in the past, but since using the peppermint oil they have vanished. Instead of putting it on cotton balls, we used some cheap glass salt & pepper shakers from the dollar store, enlarged the holes in the tops of the shakers and put in reed diffusers then added the oil. The only problem for us with using the cotton balls is that you are supposed to add more oil to them daily. As our "happy place" is 200 miles away from home, that wouldn't have been possible. We've used if for 3 years now and it works like a charm!

• Shelley Nelson Shelley Nelson on May 20, 2014
    Good ol poison! We had an infestation once when our kids were little and we had two dogs. My husband was against poison but I had had enough. I put boxes of it where our kids couldn't get it. Under our dresser in our room, behind our fridge. Never had another mouse again.

• See 1 previous
    • Lynn Coleman Lynn Coleman on Mar 27, 2022

Its also dangerous for other animals that eat the poisoned mice: dogs, cats, owls, hawks etc.

• Susan Susan on May 20, 2014
    First you have to search every area of your house to determine where these little guys are entering. These little holes, nooks and crannies are usually located under sinks, cabinets, etc. Once you find these openings, fill them up with stainless steel scouring pads. Works GREAT - better than any other method! Since using this method I've not seen a trace of another little critter!

• Jeanette Sharples Jeanette Sharples on May 20, 2014

Snake poo is the best. I put it where they come in and presto not a mouse poo insight for 4 months. A friend of mine has a snake so that's were I get the poo from or you can ask the local pet shop.

• Glenda D Glenda D on May 23, 2014

Scatter bay leaves everywhere and plug up holes

• Draco Draco on Apr 24, 2022

Plugging up holes is a challenge in and of itself. Use copper or stainless steel scrub pads for this as it hurts their teeth and gums when they try to chew through it. Also... Do NOT use regular steel wool. It rusts and deteriorates after a while and faster if there is moisture around.

• Pat Helmer Pat Helmer on Jun 06, 2014
    Cedar chips are toxic to them. I leave open containers or old socks filled with them in drawers and closets. They need to be replaced every year.

• Mice will flourish when they have 1) Food 2) Water 3) Shelter. If you have birdfeeders, grass seed in the garage and pet food in the house, you're going to have a big rodent population. Mice reach optimal reproduction when they have these three things. Eliminate just one (mainly the food) and you will greatly reduce the population. Try to store all the above in sealed containers. Deny the mice what they need to survive. In addition, seal (EXTERIOR) entry points using copper mesh, expanding foam or whatever is appropriate for the situation.

• Curt Warkentin Curt Warkentin on Jul 13, 2014

One trick I have not tried yet but I heard works is a 5 gallon pail with a few inches of water in the bottom. Smear some peanut butter around the inside of the pail low enough so the mice can't reach it but can smell it. Then set up a board they can follow to the top of the pail... they fall in and drown since they can't get out. A buddy suggested that for my farm. I may just bury a pail in ground a ways to make life easier. Scoop dead mice out as necessary (with a net or anything you wish).

• Margaret Zyla Belfry Margaret Zyla Belfry on Apr 09, 2022

You can take a 5 gallon bucket and drill holes the size of a dowel that you will run through the holes and across the bucket. Small dowel is all that's needed. Then run the dowel through a hollow piece of aluminum pipe. Run your wood up the pail and put peanut butter across the aluminum pipe that is placed over the dowel, with the dowel holding it across the bucket filled with water. the mice will run across, the pipe will roll and they will fall in and drown. We got rid of alot of mice on our mini-farm!

• Lagree Wyndham Lagree Wyndham on May 18, 2015

I have a house on a raised foundation, I keep Decon poison under the house in the crawl space year round. Been in house 12 plus years and never had any inside house.

• See 1 previous
    • Sus43162217 Sus43162217 on Apr 25, 2022

Mice are food for owls, and other large birds and by poisoning them you poison the rest of the food chain. Do you remember when the eagle population was sick and declining because of lead buckshot they ingested in other animals. Don't mess with mother nature by man made pesticides!

• Riserman Riserman on May 20, 2015

I had mice, not wanting to kill them I bought a good live capture trap. I caught about 5 mice and relocated them, now no more mice and I feel better that I didn't kill them, cute little creatures just trying to survive.

• Start by eliminating what they need to survive. They can't live too long without food. Use sealed containers to put all your food in. If you have pets, make sure you put the pet food in sealed containers also. Mice love pet food, grass and bird seed etc. Place traps...many traps, perpendicular to the wall. Mice follow lines/like to run against another surface. Use food or even cotton on the traps. Mice pull the cotton to use as nesting material. It's more difficult for mice to remove the cotton without getting caught. Mice are naturally curious and will investigate anything new in their environment. Rats are the opposite. They will avoid anything new in their environment. Therefore, with rats it's important to pre-bait the traps. Place the rat trap without setting it to go off. In this way, the rat gets used to eating from this "new" item without getting hurt. Once you gain their confidence, then you can set the traps. This takes about four to six days.

• UpState UpState on Jan 12, 2016

2 Ways:

-Pepsi - they drink it and explode

-Sponges drenched in Pepsi - they get exhausted chewing the sponge, then explode

• Rats and mice dislike the smell of ammonia because it smells like predator urine. Fill a spray bottle with 1 cup ammonia and 1 cup vinegar. Mix well and spray all areas the rodents frequent. Spray cotton balls with the solution and set them in the areas as well.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jan 08, 2020

Soak cotton balls in apple cider vinegar and the scent will keep them away. If you don't like the smell you can use peppermint oil and/or cinnamon oil. You have to re soak the cotton balls as the scent fades. I purchased some rodent spray and you can just spritz it around.

• Call the pros and get an inspection! They will show you points of entry and suggest how to fix. Keeping a neat and tidy exterior helps too.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Sep 25, 2017

Use mice traps to catch them. In the future, you can tuck dryer sheets in out of the way places. For some reason, they don't like the smell. Also, caulking all cracks and little holes on the outside of the house will prevent them and other insects from coming inside.

• Hbet Hbet on Sep 09, 2016

Sprinkle crushed Penny-Royal leaves (mint family) on your outside perimeter. Sprinkle whole cloves on the inside perimeter. These remedies do not hurt people or pets. May need to be repeated. Where they are entering is the place for packing steel wool, usually at plumbing. Good luck to you.

• Draco Draco on Apr 24, 2022

Don't use regular steel wool as it will rust and deteriorate. Stainless Steel or Copper scrub pads are best. Hurts their gums and teath.

• Darline Darline on Sep 09, 2016

Steel wool sometimes does not work as well as copper wool, harder to find, but stronger than mice can handle. They really don't care for cayenne pepper either, or if you can find chili pequin pepper, that's even stronger.

• Kwalker Kwalker on Sep 10, 2016
    This may sound crazy but it works. We had that problem in our trailer. First of all get some cheap steel wool and put it around all your pipes going in and out of the house. Make sure you do the water pipes under your tub and shower. Don't forget to do the washer and dryer vents . Mice cannot eat through the steel wool. Next go buy the biggest can of black pepper you can find. Put it at the back of all the cabinets, drawers, closets and if you can go without the AC for a day put some in an open container in the vents. We cleaned EVERYTHING in the house and then did this and we have not seen any evidence of mice for the last 2 months. At the first sign we will repeat the process.

• Rebekah Rebekah on Feb 23, 2022

If you are using Peppermint Oil to rid your house of mice BE CAREFUL if you have cats!! Peppermint and also Cinnamon Oils are highly toxic to cats and can kill them! Yikes! Just do a search: Is Peppermint Oil Toxic to Cats? to find out.

• Ken Ken on Dec 15, 2017

Check your drains. Most drains have cross bars, a pop-up waste, or a screen over the drain. Yours may be missing or never had any of these. If it did not, replacing either the entire drain, which is not as difficult as you might think, may be the best option. If the current drain is a standard size there are replacements for the chrome ring that you see in the tub which will allow you to install a pop-up drain or screen that will keep the little beggars at bay for less than $20.

• 27524803 27524803 on Dec 15, 2017

Check if mice are coming up the actual bath tub drain, if they are then you have more problems than just the mice. If they are entering up the inside of the bathtub drain pipe, then the drain pipe is disconnected or broken somewhere under your house which means the bath water is draining underneath your house and could compromise your foundation. Your drain line to the septic tank or sewer line could also be broken or has come apart. If this is the case contact HomeAdvisor.com or AngiesList.com and get a plumber or plumbing contractor out there right a way. Have them run a camera down the drain and find out how the mice are getting into the tub drain line.

• Larry Larry on Mar 22, 2022

Plumbing systems for waste have vent lines that run through the roof and are normally open at the top. If a mouse could climb up the exterior of the pipe, it could drop into the system, but I would think this would be a very rare case, unless the pipe is too short or there is something too near the top of it, like a tree branch.

• VintageHippie VintageHippie on Mar 31, 2015

Not sure if this actually works or not, but a friend of mine used a product called Fresh Cab in her RV to keep critters out. It's pine scented as I remember. She always said it was the only thing she's found that worked. Now, I have never used it myself, and I'm sure it needs to be rotated and replaced fairly regularly, but if you are bothered by the peppermint, this may be an alternative. I'm sure amazon has it.

• Oliva Oliva on May 05, 2019

Check your chimney, does it have a device installed to prevent access to rodents?

Have you checked gable vents or soffit? You may find the gable vents pushed in to permit rodent access, or holes in soffit/siding. From there, rodents can gain access to the attic and walls or lower areas of home, depending upon the home's composition.

If gable vents need repairing, screw in "hardware cloth" wire mesh, with edges folded over and secured to prevent future entry.

Make sure the areas are not infested with rodents, which will require installation of high intensity strobe lights or a professional exterminator.

• Jlj8260515 Jlj8260515 on Aug 10, 2016

Mix one cup of lime and one cup of corn meal in an old bowl very well. Then place this mixture with a thin layer of “cornmeal” over the top in small foil pie tins and scatter them where ever you have rodents. They love cornmeal and will eat down into the lime mixture. This will not kill any other animals. I use this on our ranch.

• Jeanette S Jeanette S on May 11, 2018
    Mice are attracted to food no properly stored or left out. Keep the food in tightly closed containers so they can't get to it.

Feed your Guinea Pig at certain times during the day and do not leave food in the cage. People tend to put out food for pets and leave it out! Not good!

• Mix 1 part flour, granulated sugar and baking soda. Place in shallow dish where mice are most likely to find it. You can sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar, chocolate powder or finely chopped nuts to make it more enticing – just add a bit more baking soda to compensate. What happens is when this hits their stomachs the baking soda forms a gas which rupture their stomachs = dead mice.

• Jeffery Jeffery on Apr 04, 2022

Another nasty human being! Sure are a lot of them. Mice...tiny little creatures you seem to find torturing admirable.

• Karen Karen on Mar 08, 2022

potato flakes and cats and easy setting traps especially in the spring,,,besides closing all holes esp, by pipes and wires,,we live in the country..flakes blow up mice but not cats,,

• Richard Richard on Mar 09, 2022

Tried and true!!!!! Make a mixture of two (2) cups of Plaster of Paris, one (1) cup of Self Rising Flour and one (1) cup of Cup 'o Soup and set out on their "runs" and replentish as mixture gets lower!! This mixture "ruptures" their bodies and the problem is taken care of!! They are infestive creatures and carry many diseases and therefore are NOT needed in the hierarchy of the scheme of things!!!!! Think "Bubonic Plague"!!!!!

• Barbara Barbara on May 04, 2022

what is the plaster of paris for? i think it hardens like cement quickly so i cant imgine what it is used for?

• Elle Elle on Mar 10, 2022

We use peppermint - we found even very strong peppermint tea made them avoid the area, but we didn't use pure peppermint oil, because we do have a cat. Peppermint extract seemed to work fine for us.

• Jjf9789637 Jjf9789637 on Mar 14, 2022

We live on a farm and always have trouble with mice. We bought several of the electronic plug-ins things. NO MORE MICE!! You can also get battery powered ones to put in camper and vehicles.

• Kevin Kevin on Mar 28, 2022

no electricity needed.

A 5 gallon bucket, a sheet stiff plastic, approximately 6mil thick

super glue or hot glue the plastic to the rim of the bucket. next, draw a circle in the center of the plastic and draw a pattern of 8 wedges in the circle, cut the wedges from circumference to circumference to let mice in. do not cut the circle out

Make any kind of ramps to allow mice to gain access the floor to the top of the bucket, one on each side of bucket.

sprinkle some seed around to bucket to entice and some in the bucket. That's it

Now you just have to get past the demise of a ton of mice that this will catch, because they will not be killed by this method

• Olivia Canela Olivia Canela on Mar 30, 2022

Be careful peppermint and other citrus oils are toxic to pets, so make sure they are able to access them.

• Peanut butter in a glue trap. It's sad, but it works. Just check on them daily.

• Draco Draco on Apr 24, 2022

Tried the glue traps. Bigger mice will laugh at you and eat the trap. Had one smaller mouse that got caught. Screemed and screemed. Took it outside and went back in to get a hammer to finish the job. Saw a cat with the trap in his mouth running across the yard. Couldn't catch him/her.

I don't like glue traps.

• Susan Frost Gerhold Susan Frost Gerhold on Apr 17, 2022

take dead mice with no poisons injested and put out side like on a stump or a table or a big stone the crows or hawks wwill eat them recycled yes?

• Suz62764205 Suz62764205 on Apr 22, 2022

Cats. Mine kill rats too! A rat won't last five minutes in my house. I literally went out to the shop for that long to briefly close it up - leaving the back door open, and when I came back into the house, there was a dead rat on the floor with my two kitties looking it over to see if it would still twitch. I think the poor critter came right in the open door.

Of course every once in a great while, the cats will fail to completely dispatch the poor animal to the afterlife - and for those occasions I have a bottle of chloroform in the shop (I keep it safe from tipping over and breaking of course) but I hope to ease the suffering of "the un-dead" by placing gently in a plastic tight-lidded box on a soft towel with a chloroform-soaked paper towel. It kills them in the most humane way I can think of.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Apr 25, 2022

Call in the Cat!

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Apr 30, 2022

Start by eliminating what they need to survive. They can't live too long without food. Use sealed containers to put all your food in. If you have pets, make sure you put the pet food in sealed containers also. Mice love pet food, grass and bird seed etc. Place traps...many traps, perpendicular to the wall. Mice follow lines/like to run against another surface.

• Tambra Tambra on May 02, 2022

Cats are Great. You will need to get a Female. They are the hunters in the den. As long as we had a female, NO MICE INFESTATION, if you get a male all they want to do is eat and sleep. They have got to be one of the laziest creatures that I have ever seen. No hunting skill whatsoever. Keep that in mind when you are choose your little Exterminator...Get a Girl...Good Luck.

• Beverly Beverly on May 04, 2022

I have a bunch of feral cats that moved here when my neighbor became unable to feed them. I couldn't stand to see them starve, so I feed them. We live in the Florida swamps and have had several mice infestations. The cats don't do anything. They will go after birds and squirrels, but not mice. I hate to kill any animal, but the mice chew my clothes and leave droppings in all the drawers throughout the house. We are desperate. I don't like to use poison of any kind.

• Lauren Lauren on May 03, 2022

I found that my 9mm worked good! But ya gotta be quick and good!

• Richard Richard on May 05, 2022

Make recipe of:

One (1) Cup of Plaster of Paris

Two (2) Cups of Self Rising Flour

One (1) Package of Cup O' Soup

Take my word for this as Gospel. I used this and in "jig time" there were NO mice. Just make sure that you continue setting this recipe out long enough to make sure there are no more of them!! No poisons, no traps, just be sure that you keep any pets you may have away from the area that you have this in until you are sure you have eliminated the problems!!!!!

• Tony Tony 5 days ago

Ok but which copy of the gospel shall we trust? The first one several comments ago or this one? The first stated 2 cups plaster of Paris 1 cup self rising flour, and 1 cup o soup

Now this one flip flopped the plaster of paris and the self rising flour (1 cup and 2 respectively) I tend to better trust recipes that do not change each time they are made. One almost certainly would be more effective than the other.

• Sba30773758 Sba30773758 7 days ago

The absolute best way is to get ultrasonic sound generators. Believe me...as weird as it sounds, it really works!