How do you get rid of skunks?

+7
  • Stephen Scott Johnson Stephen Scott Johnson on Jan 08, 2017
    Wow -- it looks like no one is touching this question with a 10 foot pole (LOL). I wish I could offer you advice on skunks. I've had issues with animals (flying squirrels) getting into my attic. In the end, I called an expert in pest control to come seal my house and trap the animals. So you might want to call an expert. Otherwise, you need to figure out what is attracting them and get rid of that attractant (food, shelter, etc)

You might want to add some specifics with your question and describe what's going on with these skunks.

• Phillipcardjr Phillipcardjr on Jan 08, 2017
    You would need to check on the laws that govern your area to find out what is allowed. The game commission could provide you with that information. Then it would depend on How Rid of Them you want it to be. Catch em' Live traps work but there is a price to pay for that . Skunks like chicken, mix it with Decon; but many would not approve.

• Berrie Cameron-Allen Berrie Cameron-Allen on Jan 08, 2017
    Divorce them!

• Bonnie Knight Bonnie Knight on Jan 08, 2017
    They are most likely eating grubs in your yard. So do something to kill the food source. Do not leave any pet food out either. My animal services department would not do anything to rid me of even a trapped skunk. Have-A-Hearts traps are good to catch them in, they like marshmallows, apples, canned fishy meats. If you trap one you cover the trap with a sheet, towel or what ever you have on hand. They should not spray if they do not see anything that sets them off. Don't know where you are, but there are laws about transporting wild animals. There are generally licensed professionals that will deal with them as well. Good luck!

• Juanita Stegman Juanita Stegman on Jan 11, 2017
    I got rid of a skunk under my house in the crawl space by using moth balls. LOTS of moth balls! I was good and mad by the time I did this! I could not find anyone willing to rid the house of this thing so I bought ten boxes of them, opened each box and pitched the contents under the house. Then covered the opening (for about the 30th time). The opening was never dug out again. I traded one smell for another for awhile but it evidently worked.

• Gladys Benitez Gladys Benitez on Jan 12, 2017
      Question for Stegman or anyone who may know? I'm having an issue (squirrel or racoon??) up in my "Overhang or Eaves" (I hope & not in my attic!!). I can see the corner opening where my ridges meet...do you suppose what you did may work for this issue as well?

• B. Enne B. Enne on Jan 12, 2017
    Get rid of their food source: grubs, small rodents etc., and they will leave. Beneficial nematodes help to get rid of grubs. You apply them in the spring and fall. It is not an overnight solution though.

• Juanita Stegman Juanita Stegman on Jan 12, 2017
    Gladys, if there is an opening to a space I know squirrels can get in. They also chew holes in things. I'd try the mothball thing. I put them in the barn when I find packrat nests. And they seem to vacate! It's an offensive smell and stays til the mothballs dissolve. It's cheap and if it doesn't work you're not out much. I'd check your attic for squirrels too! They are destructive.

• Robby Treichel Robby Treichel on Jan 13, 2017
    Opossums get into eaves also. I like the moth ball idea because they have them at Dollar Tree!

• Judy Mitsui Judy Mitsui on Jun 08, 2022

And if you have problems with your dogs getting sprayed by skunks, Dr. Bonners Pepperment Soap works great!! And it doesn't hurt their eyes. Health food stores carry it if you can't find it in your grocery store.