WallsTreat Studio/ Kass Wilson
WallsTreat Studio/ Kass Wilson
  • Alpharetta, GA
Asked on Feb 23, 2012

To spray or not to spray.

Dan's of Central Florida, Inc.WallsTreat Studio/ Kass WilsonCharlene S
+8

To get a perfectly smooth paint finish, the best option is to spray. For large jobs, like kitchen cabinets, it is worth the hassle of masking off the area, straining paint and bringing in compressors. For small craft projects, spray in cans work fine. But, for the medium sized jobs it seemed like hand rolling or brushing was the only option.
I recently had a chance to try a portable, hand held, battery operated sprayer at Sherwin Williams. It was easy to spray at ALL angles, used latex paint and primer straight out of the can, easy clean up and lightweight enough for us girls. This may be the next toy for my wish list.
Pro Shot by Graco.  Available through Sherwin Williams
Pro Shot by Graco. Available through Sherwin Williams
Lightweight and works at odd angles.  Very little over spray with the fine tip.  All SW no VOC paint. . . even with the dark tints.
Lightweight and works at odd angles. Very little over spray with the fine tip. All SW no VOC paint. . . even with the dark tints.
This isn't my usual type of project.  But, the sprayer was the perfect tool for both primer and paint.  It only took about 20 minutes to cover this 8 foot King Kong.
This isn't my usual type of project. But, the sprayer was the perfect tool for both primer and paint. It only took about 20 minutes to cover this 8 foot King Kong.
  • Ana M

LIKE!! Might have to put this on my wish list, I hate painting, it's my least favorite DIY thing!

• Okay I need to get a gorilla like that for the space over my entry doors!

This post was worth it just for the photo of painting the gorilla.

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

We like no VOC. That ladder was the ticket. Let us spray.

• Douglas, I do a lot of "special effects" but this one went way out of my box. I have never worked so hard but had so much fun.

q to spray or not to spray, painting, tools, Here s an idea of his sizeq to spray or not to spray, painting, tools, Here s where he had to go
  • Miriam I

Kass, your gorilla is out of this wold! He belongs in The Guinness Book of World Records!

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

He looks good on the floor where you can see more of the detail work.

• Charlene S

Thanks for the info...just might have to budget one of these into my tools.

• I tried on of those Graco sprayers you have pictured up there. Wasn't really impressed myself. It didn't produce a constant spray stream, more like a chatter or machine-gun fire spray. Maybe it was the machine itself or the battery charge was low. Was your experience different?

• Yes, Dan, for me it worked perfect. The only time it wasn't perfectly even was when the battery was getting low. It comes with 2 and only takes about 15 minutes to fully charge again. You do need to make sure and purge it when you start or if you leave it setting idol for more than 10 - 15 minutes. I also found that it was important to have the tube in the container facing forward. It seems to use less paint that way.

• Hmm, maybe I will have to give this another try. It could be useful to me for doing doors and such, not much else besides that really.