Asked on Apr 11, 2016

Alternate ideas for a microwave stand

Tara L Daves861650Joy8819
+30

I recently priced microwave stands and was horrified. Our microwave is currently on the counter and taking up a third of the space available. I have a cute niche perfect for a stand but wanna do something creative. Anybody got any ideas?

Try looking for a rolling bar cart. They are a lot less expensive . I currently use one with a toaster oven on top and the bottom is for liquor for entertaining Multi purpose and looks pretty.

Just remember there are a lot of ideas but you have to go with what you are confident in and I certainly would never give advice unless I knew first hand.

• MN Mom

Any sturdy table or cabinet that fits in the niche could be painted as an accent to your kitchen. IMO a microwave cart in the kitchen is a great counter top space saver. Unless you plan on rolling it around as a beverage center, I personally would not double duty a microwave and bar cart. You can also consider having the appliance installed above your range.

• MN Mom

Absolutely a night stand could work! Just be sure to measure your microwave and the night stand so it will fit correctly!

• Sandra Hellewell

I love crates for their versatility and this is a perfect instance where you could use them and make yourself a perfect shelf. They sell them at Walmart and craft stores if you don't have any on hand. Depending on the size of your niche, you could put 2 stacked vertically or 3 - 4 horizontally. Put the microwave on the top and then you will have extra storage underneath. Alternatively, you could use a small 3 drawer dresser, bedside table or even an upcycled baby's change table! I bought a change table at a yard sale for $5. 00 so if you can wait until the yard sales start, you could probably something that would suit your needs for a very reasonable price! Good luck, Coco! And have fun!!

• Lynda Dexter

try thrift stores or second hand furniture stores. walk around with an open mind. Take measurments of your niche and find a sturdy piece that you like and will fit both your microwave and your niche.

• CoCo

Thank You Lynda Dexter. I have thee best second hand store near were I live. I bought a $250.00 coffee maker there for $3.00. Plus they support their church by the money made at the store. Of course ANY excuse to visit their store is okay by me. Giggle

• Marie

Help answer this question...I went out and bought a small book shelf..(yard sale) painted it and put a small counter top on it using ceramic floor tiles. I put my micro on the top..toaster on the 2nd shelf and some cook books on the bottom. also you can get a small bedside table if your space is small it should be tall with drawers and use that. The nice thing about wood is it is easy to sand and paint to your liking . Good luck

• Marie

I should have mentioned budget saving..they have press on floor tiles at Home Depot that you can peel and stick and cut with some utility sissors. I would however glue them down for double sticking.

• CoCo

Thank You Marie. Funny you should mention the peel n stick floor tiles. The Landlord just finished making repairs to our entryway and used matching peel n stick floor tiles to match the ones in the kitchen. He left a quarter of a box here. If I create a stand then use the tiles it could have a "built in" look.

• Arlene

I put mine in a cabinet above my ovens, cut a hole for the cord, looks built in

• Cyndi Moore Tippett

You can try Lowes, Home Depot or Big Lots scratch and dent section. Sometimes you can get a kitchen cabinet and put two pieces of wood shelving board on top. The board can be painted , stained, distressed or whatever your look is... Even a small table would work. If you think out of the box and keep yours eye open to possibilities... You will find something. Happy hunting.

• Jennie Lee

I use a $10 steel table from Ollie's. It's actually IN the pantry--you open the door, and it's right there in front of you. Close it--no microwave; which is kinda neat when you have a retro kitchen!

• KatAych

You can mount it under your cabinets, dependent upon how big it is, to free up some counterspace. Also, you could use a night stand, end table, or even just a shelf (I'd suggest mounting with French cleats - SUPER secure and can handle very heavy items).

• Marie

perfect then...ha ha ...

• Joy8819

I think you can find a second hand store for a small table and fix into a stand for your microwave. You may have to add wood to the legs to make it tall enough, but it can be done.

• 861650

I realize this sounds crazy but I have a small kitchen so I put my microwave on top of the refrigerator.

• 861650

@CoCo Leaves a lot more counter space doesn't it! Some people may need a stool and you can get those small, sturdy plastic ones anywhere. My Mother does this to reach high places all the time.

• Tara L Daves

May I recommend the Ameriwood™ 4-Drawer Federal Chest at Big Lots for $150? It's 40" high, perfect counter height, and I plan to use it as my baker's rack and Kitchen Aid mixer stand.