Nancee Barnett
Nancee Barnett
  • Lancaster, CA
Asked on Jun 5, 2013

Tomato worms and worms on brussel sprouts. HELP!

Pamela KnottVictoria DrakeJessica C
+4

While gardening today I discovered holes in the leaves of my brussel sprouts. Examined the leaves and sure enough, the pesky worms! My sons used to just pick them off but they are grown up and moved on now. I'm not touching them!! Organic or not what will kill these guys. Help.....

Invite your sons back for a visit, Nancee! Both Dipel Dust (Bacillus thuringiensis, var. kurstaki) and Monterey Garden Insect Spray (Spinosad) are effective on worm pests, but they work best when the invaders are young. If they've gotten big, picking and dumping them in a pail of soapy water is really the best way to go.

• DubbleSixx

I agree. I am growing several varieties of tomatoes and those Green caterpillars are ones to watch out for.

• You do not have time for garden, You own a horse! If you have a lot of trees around the garden cutting the branches back for additional light also helps a lot in controlling them.

• Nancee Barnett

Thanks Doug. They are not too big yet, but any size worm grosses me out. They are about 1 inch and pretty thin. I will try the spray or dust which ever i find first.

• Jessica C

Dish soap and water may help a bit too. It kills all sorts of bugs but I have never tried on tomato worms.

• Victoria Drake

I read somewhere that those green worms love beer, and to put a dish of beer in the garden,, worth a try I figure,, and if it doesnt work,,, then at least you have some beer???

• Pamela Knott

I usually end up picking them off, but they hide so well when the tomato plants are big and thick. I check back everyday, but they hide when the sun gets too hot. Wish there was some way to kill them before they ate so much! Are they in the ground or do they come on the tomato plant.