Mary
Mary
  • Ashburn, VA
Asked on Jun 9, 2013

Kitchen Cabinets - White and Pealing

BabyBoomerSCFloMary
+18

I have the builder's white cabinets in my kitchen and have lived here for about 15 years. The coating on the white cabinets are pealing off. What can I do? I don't have the money right now to replace them. Any ideas are really appreciated!!
kitchen cabinets white and pealing, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design
  • Maureen O'Donovan

Reminds me of my kitchen cabinets a few years back. Is this a plastic-like coating? Mine just peeled right off. See my post on what I did to mine when this happened. In my case, my kids melted the plastic with the oven door ajar when they were cooking me breakfast one year for Mother's Day. Good luck!

• Maureen O'Donovan

@Tracey Willis Thomas Tracey, just click on my name and search for my posts .....you will see my solution. I'm not so sure I had the same exact finish as Mary's, as my plastic coating peeled off very easily in very large pieces, which made my job a lot easier.

• Mary

Hi Maureen! Yes, it's like a plastic coating... Hate it! Thanks for your response!

• Mel

I've heard of this happening before. If you peel it all off what is underneath should be paintable. More than likely it's some kind of pressed wood.

• Jeanette S

Soooo sorry! My cabinets are old and I want to do something with them, but I just cannot give up old wood cabinets for what they are putting out there now. AND I cannot afford the $65,000 redo that some of my neighbors have paid. When I was able to undertake a project like this, I worked full time and hubby traveled. Now I am old enough to smile and not worry about this! Somehow, kitchens are a work area, not fine furniture!

• Bonnie Lewenza

i would peel that off , give a light sanding to get rid of residue. Prime it and paint it. Or even change the color altogether for a fresh update.

• The cabinets are 15 years old. IF YOU WANT SOME IDEAS ON WHAT TO DO WITH YOUR CABINETS. HERE IS LINK ON HOW TO GET NEW KITCHEN CABINETS LOOK FOR LITTLE MONEY. http://remodelinghomeimprovement.net/Orlando-Remodeling-Home-Improvement-Articles/new-kitchen-cabinet-looks-for-less/

• Vicki

I have the same problem. I have peeled the laminate off, sanded, primed, and painted. They look as good as new.

• Johnny Paizano

once you do refinish them put handles on them, it's a good chance that you have touched the cabinet doors or drawers while your hands had water on them and paint usually peels from moisture

• Mary

Thank you all! once I get up the nerve and energy, i will peel an paint them!

• Donnaat200b

When I bought my home that was the only thing I hated in the house. The rest was fixable , but the kitchen cabinets needed an update. I took the draw to HD. got some paint in a natural color , then I bought wood findings at a local craft store and put them on all the corners of the doors after I painted them black and attached them with glue.. Also bought wood trim for the top and painted that black as well.It is very strikingand goes with everything.Everyone loves my cabinets and always asks me where I got them. Then I have to tell them the easy fix that looks great! Hope this can help you.

• Mary

@ Hi Donna, I'd love to see a picture or two. Could you post a couple? Thanks for replying!

• Mary

Donna Potter Do you have pictures?? Thanks!

• Flo

I too had peeling white foil wrapped cabinets. When I installed them I loved them but when they started to peel of the coatin the honeymoon was over! I use a hair dryer to warm up the white plastic foil overlay and it all pulled off vey easily. Then just a light sanding and a thorough washing with KrudKutter. When that dried I used Sherwin Williams extra white cashmere paint as another site said that it was a perfect color match for all brand of cabinets. and applied three coats sanding with a fine grit sand paper. I decided to do one cupboard door or drawer front a week as I didn't want doors off and all over our garage work space. It worked great. Looks like an original finish and will last for many years. Good Luck to you.

• Jenny

Did you use a primer on your cabinets prior to painting them with the Sherwin William paint? I have quite a few cabinets in need of some major TLC. I like the idea of doing each cabinet slowly because this job seems pretty overwhelming. How many coats did you do per cabinet? Thanks!
  • Flo

I used Kilz primer. Then applied two sometimes three coats of Sherwin Williams paint. I sanded lightly in between coats to make sure I had a perfectly smooth surface before applying the next coat. It is a big project. I had fifteen door fronts and and eight drawers. So rewarding when you are done to say nothing about how much moolah you save.
  • BabyBoomerSC

I have also painted my laminate cabinets (went from orange/brown to off white) but I didn't peel the laminate off. I did take off all the drawer and door fronts and lightly sanded each one. I bought an inexpensive paint sprayer from Lowe's (you insert a spray can of your paint) and used that to paint all the doors/drawer fronts. I put 2 coats of Kilz primer on the cabinets before painting.

I used enamel paint and used 2 coats of SW paint. I then used a brush to paint the existing cabinet boxes on the wall. When those 2 coats were dray (waiting 24 hours between coats), I used a tiny roller and rolled one last coat on to get rid of the brush marks.

They look really good. Here's a few before and after pics.
    , Before Picture of lower cabinet They re an orange red brown color, Another Before Picture, AFTER picture Yay so much better, Another after picture Once the cabinets were done we painted the walls, Totally AFTER picture with cabinets painted subway tile backsplash and neutral color on the walls
    • Eroque022810

We meet again. 😊 Why did you use a brush and not a roller on cabinet boxes seems it would go quicker? At any rate you have an amazing kitchen right off a magazine cover.