Louise Burton
Louise Burton
  • Water View, VA
Asked on Jun 22, 2013

How do I repair a textured ceiling?

Grandmasue10Louise BurtonWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
+5

There was water damage. That is repaired . I am trying to match the pattern of the textured ceiling.
  • KMS Woodworks

What type of texture are you trying to match? There are different methods depending on what you have. Homax makes some aerosol type cans that are great for touch ups. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homax-20-oz-Wall-orange-peel-QuickDry-OilBased-Spray-Texture-4055-06/100089117#.UcW6yTu14Vg The link above is for the "orange peel" group they also have a "popcorn" type group.

• Louise Burton

This is a flower like pattern, looks sort of like a sponge paint but done with texture, I have tried several different items to create the same design.

• Barry Elings

Anything like this?

how do i repair a textured ceiling, home maintenance repairs, how to, walls ceilings
  • KMS Woodworks

The pic Barry posted above is what I remember from my parents home (built 1967 ish). I believe it was done with a "V" notched trowel and some thinned joint compound. (some folks with use "plaster" which is the setting type of compound. Before you start working on the ceiling you should pick up some scrap 2 foot "repair" pieces of drywall from you local home center. You can practice on these until your technique matches.

• Louise Burton

I have seen the above pattern in my research, the photo below is what I am trying to duplicate.

how do i repair a textured ceiling, home maintenance repairs, how to, walls ceilings, This is the texture that I am looking for in my repair job Thanks for the help
  • That type of finish is done with a sprayed on compound mixture or the use of a special roller. But the paint is thickened so as the roller puts the paint on it pulls the paint slightly off creating those wiggly lines that you observe. You must remember however, no two textures will ever come out the same. Even using the exact same paint and tools. Pressures applying the material on the surface, the thickness of the paint, all sorts of variables often make duplication the texture hard if not impossible to do. Quite often the entire ceiling or area needs to be done over when making such a repair. Doing it in this fashion can hide the damaged repair section faster and easier then trying to just do a patch then paint the entire area again.

• Louise Burton

Thanks for your help!

• Grandmasue10

A handyman professional at my daughter's home used a block of wood and a crumpley plastic bag over it to make a pattern, but I think it was just dimples not an actual flower looking pattern like yours.