Jim G
Jim G
  • Suffolk, VA

Hanging Tomatoes..... ALMOST NO FRUIT....

Catherine SmithJim GDeltagardener
+11

In this black planter are Cherry Tomatoes that I talked about in the past. They are growing well now and we are getting lots of tomatoes growing now. Actually fun, as my grandson likes when I pick them and he eats them as candy. and grand-daughter!) **** ISSUE is you can see the hanging vines of big boy tomatoes growing from underneath and the vines are growing THICK and healthy, THOUGH I had only 1 tomato grow and none since... I feed them with tomato plant fertilizer bought at the local gardening center (recommended) and ensure the soil is moist. (Just added more soil today to see if that helps the roots grow and for more moisture in the soil.)
Cherry Tomatoes on Top.. growing well now and lots of tomatoes growing!
one side of 3 with hanging from underneath the planter.  NO tomatoes!  This vine grows underneath and from the side of the garden.
one side of 3 with hanging from underneath the planter. NO tomatoes! This vine grows underneath and from the side of the garden.
Another one growing from underneath, in front, from underneath the planter. Had ONE tomato, then no more!   Why no fruit??
Another one growing from underneath, in front, from underneath the planter. Had ONE tomato, then no more! Why no fruit??
  • Deltagardener

How hot is it there?

• Jim G

Normally in high 80s, with a couple weeks of 90s, and EVERY Year we get 3-5 days of HIGH 90s w/ Heat Index of 101-105 degrees. Last week was THAT heat and the pool water actually was at 94 degrees...... This week back to low-mid 80s..... next week in high 80s again.

• Catherine Smith

Back off of the fertilizer. With all that additional nitrogen, you're encouraging the plant to grow more leaves not fruit. ^-^ Try spraying the plants with Epsom salts water (1 tablespoon to 1 gallon of water). The additional magnesium may help encourage them to start to produce and set fruit.

• Jim G

Catherine.... Interesting... just watched a video last night about Epsom Salts for helping the yellowing leaves of the Cucumbers.... lack of magnesium! I had my grandson bring me paper & pencil to start my notes for the store to start with Epsom Salts! Thank you.

• Catherine Smith

I'm quite sure you have similar wonderful VA red clay, Jim. And clay particles have a tendency to lock down trace minerals. so you need to supplement a bit for best plant health. I occasionally side dress with EPs, but I mainly use Bokashi juice and diluted EM-1. It's a probiotic for the soil and works wonders to both greatly improve soil health and which for makes for more productive, healthier plants that can better withstand disease and insect pests. I have also recently started using Azomite trace minerals in conjunction with the EM-1 with excellent results. Since I am an organic gardener, these products are organic and totally non-toxic. Good stuff!

• Jim G

Thank you Catherine. I'll research some of what you mentioned to understand what they are and where to buy them!

• Phillip Williams

Catherine has good advice. The typical reason that we get huge plants and no fruit is the over application of nitrogen. You should also be aware that tomatoes stop flowering when the heat gets into the nineties

• Jim G

ok, so the fact the tomatoes slowed is not necessarily anything I can control, just need the cooler temps again..... thank you

• Dianna Atchison

When the temps are in the 90's, often the night time temps do not go below 75. When that happens, the buds will not set. Similar to what Phillip said, but it is actually the night time temps that are the culprit. Agree with the nitrogen comments also.

• Jim G

So with teh temps dropping to the 80s now and night time temps in 60s and some 70s.... tomatoes are starting to grow pretty well now! I get 2-4 Red tomatoes per 3-4 days and have 30-40 GREEN CHERRY tomatoes that just haven't turned red yet. Not sure why though.

• Deltagardener

Interesting as here if the temperatures go over 32C the tomato flowers become sterile and fall off, therefore no fruit. I find that cooler temperatures help to set fruit.

• Catherine Smith

@Jim G, There are 2 types of tomatoes, determinate and indeterminate. Cherry tomatoes are for the most part "determinate" types of tomatoes. That means they stop growing when fruit sets on the terminal or top bud, ripen all their crop at or near the same time (usually over a 2 week period). Some of those die off after they finish the first batch of fruit, but many of the newer types will continue to re bloom and set fruit several times during the growing season. (When those cherry tomatoes ripen, then side dress the plants with fertilizer, the plant will need the nutrients to produce more fruit). The indeterminate type are mostly the larger "slicing" type of tomato, that vine and can get quite large. They continually bloom and produce fruit during the growing season. Tomatoes can be quite temperature sensitive, when we get these weeks of super hot 90+ degree weather, they stop blooming for awhile, but that's normal. They don't like being out in that heat either. LOL

• Jim G

@ Catherine: Thank you!! Helps to understand both!

• Catherine Smith

No problem, Jim G, glad to help :)