Michelle
Michelle
  • Roanoke, VA
Asked on Sep 11, 2016

Removing stain off of vinyl railings

MaryRoseann8628Patty
+7

I had my deck stained, and the person who stained it splattered stain onto the vinyl railings. It is dried on. What can I use to remove it? I try scrubbing it off but it does not come off. Thanks! Here is the deck
q stain off vinyl railings, cleaning tips, outdoors cleaning
  • If water based you should be fine with water, oil based - contact the vinyl manufacturer for safe cleaners or way to hide it. Stay away from nail polish remover, most citrus based cleaners, scrubby pads etc... http://thehtrc.com/2012/composite-vinyl-decking-10-common-enemies P.S. if actual flecks you may be able to pop with a razor blade, just be very very careful

• MichelleB

Definitely contact the manufacturer, I'd recommend Goo Gone but not sure if it will lift a stain. It will remove if it's a residue though.

Goo Gone would work. Goof Off, Mineral spirits, rubbing alcohol. Do not use any kind of solvent based products. They can affect, even melt plastic. No nail polish remover, no acetone.

Be careful with the hair dryer. Vinyl fences are made with PVC and resins, Fumes are harmful and easy to burn. If you have thick areas of stain, a razor blade is a good idea. Try not to scratch the surface. Then try the Goo Gone, Goof Off or even WD40.

You can try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.That what I use on the Vinyl of my pool.

• Patty

I have always used mineral spirits for this kind of clean up. You can buy it in small metal cans anywhere you buy paint. That painter should have cleaned it up or at least told you how to, he must not be a real professional, jerks like that really make me mad, a simple job like that he should not have gotten any stain anywhere but the deck.

• Roseann8628

I just had the same problem when my deck and rails were stained. The sloppy painters dripped stain on my white window surrounds. I tried several products and finally had luck with Simple Green and a little elbow grease. Good luck!

• Mary

1. I had a shrunk spray my vinyl railing. What can I use to get this off? I tried Bleach and vinegar
  • Mary