Trying to find a way (that works) to keep Brown sugar from getting har

S McKinneyBrenda ColemanLinda 4 Real
+26

hard
  • Alexandra Arena
    Alexandra Arena

Hi Donna! My mom had the same question! Here's a link with a few tips! http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/tools-and-techniques/food-storage-tips2.htm

• Karen Trochta
    Karen Trochta

I have found a secret for that. You'll have to find the old Blue Ball Jars w/ the porcelain/zinc lids or glass lids w/ rubber rings. I've had brown sugar in jars like this for a LONG time and it doesn't get hard at all. Soft and fresh as the day I put it in there.

• Audra Bailey
    Audra Bailey

toss a few marshmallows in your container. they absorb excess moisture!

• Shirley Whitfield
    Shirley Whitfield

I simply put my brown sugar in a zip top bag. Never had it go hard on me !

• Donna Case Gentry
    Donna Case Gentry

Thank you Shirley.

• Donna Case Gentry
    Donna Case Gentry

I will give that a try - Thank you Audra

• Donna Case Gentry
    Donna Case Gentry

Thank you Karen - I have mine in a jar with the similar rubber rings, maybe they need replaced. Thank you!

• Jill B
    Jill B

Put a piece of bread in it. Softens it right up.

• Faye Smith
    Faye Smith

I PUT A MARSH MELLOW IN THE AIR TIGHT CONTAINER WITH THE SUGAR

• Laura
    Laura

You can put a slice of bread in with brown sugar. It works the same as the marshmallows and you always have bread on hand.

• Sonia M
    Sonia M

put some orange rind in the bag - it absolutely works...

• Linda 4 Real
    Linda 4 Real

I keep in freezer for freshness and bug free. When needed, cut or smash off a chunk to microwave till soft and ready to use

• Louanne Canty
    Louanne Canty

i keep it in the bag. rolled down wqith a thick elastic band around it, inside a tupperware container in my refrigerator. Stays sodt ;)

• LindaWells
    LindaWells

put either a piece of bread or a whole apple in the container, sugar will stay soft for months. the bread or apple will not mold.

• Melissa B
    Melissa B

The bread may need to be changed now and then, but it works great.

• Susan E
    Susan E

Use a sealable plastic bag. Remove any air using a straw to create a vacuum. Works for me. :)

• Louise
    Louise

Store in Tupperware. I have done this for years and never have a problem.

• Laura Bolin Nickell
    Laura Bolin Nickell

Lay a piece of bread on top of the hardened brown sugar and put it a sealed container. The next day, it should be fresh again... 😉

• Adelaide Gargiulo
    Adelaide Gargiulo

Got any clean terra cotta around? You only need a small (about 1" round) piece to keep the sugar from getting hard. Just slip it down through to the middle of the sugar and leave it there.The sugar will stay soft. If your sugar is too hard right now, a few seconds in the microwave will take care of that and not hurt the sugar. Happy baking!

• Sheryl
    Sheryl

Bread in sealed container.

• Brenda Coleman
    Brenda Coleman

cut a piece of apple and place inside the container

• Faye Smith
    Faye Smith

I found putting marshmallows on top of the sugar in a air tight container will work great! Just 2 or 3 will work

• Eva Parks David
    Eva Parks David

I found like some of the others, putting 2 regular size marshmellows inside a plastic bag with sugar works great. I hardly ever use it , but when I checked last, sugar was as fresh as ever. Wish I had known this a few yrs. back when every now and then I would need brown sugar only to find a rock, which I would throw away, and have to buy more!

• Laura
    Laura

A piece of white bread. The bread goes stale but the sugar stays soft

• Lenda johnson
    Lenda johnson

If brown sugar gets too hard to use: wring out a wet paper towel and seal in a plastic bag. Set on top of the brown sugar (either directly or in its plastic bag) inside of an airtight container. A couple days later, the brown sugar will be soft again.

• Rhonda Humphreys
    Rhonda Humphreys

Throw a piece of bread or a hot dog/hamburger bun into you container of brown sugar and it will keep it soft. If it is already hard it should soften it back up. I learned this years ago while working in a restaurant.

• Linda 4 Real
    Linda 4 Real

I keep mine in the freezer and take it out a little before use. Mine softens up quickly. If It is already hard then pop in microwave for a short time and it is soft and ready to use.

• Brenda Coleman
    Brenda Coleman

a slice of apple will work for your brown sugar it also, will help keep your husbands pipe tobacco moist incase you have a husband that smokes a pipe. lol

• S McKinney
    S McKinney

Real Simple suggests tossing a couple of marshmallows in the bag to keep it soft