Asked on Nov 17, 2016

Suggestions to camouflauge this black spot on the mirror

JoanieAndrea RChar
+49

Each of these 3 mirrors (gong to hang above a couch on a large wall) has a small black spot because the hanging hook on the back must have rubbed against the mirror back. any ideas how to camouflage this spot or just let it go? In this picture it is best seen on the left side.
  • Anna

Krylon sells a spray paint called "Looking Glass". I've used it for many projects, & in many different ways. You can literally create a mirror, by simply spraying the back or inside of any clear glass. I've created a "mercury glass" effect with it too. & have also found it to be the best "silver" finish spray paint out there, by first spraying an object silver, then giving a light finishing top coat with "Looking Glass", only because it's not cheap. But it's gorgeous! Good luck!

• Laura Wands

Looking Glass spray paint is my "go to" for many projects I've done, and the paint always performs beautifully

It's not that big. First to see how a permanent fix may look. Take a piece of aluminum foil and place the shiny side against the spot. See what it looks like from the front. If your happy with it, you can use some mirror paint and paint the spots. Use flat black paint to increase the reflectivity. ***** http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Specialty-6-oz-Mirror-Finish-Spray-Paint-267727/204639861?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D24-Paint%7c&gclid=CIKu1dz8sNACFUU2gQodYMsEmA&gclsrc=aw.ds" target="_blank">http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Special... ***** http://www.sears.com/krylon-looking-glass-aerosol-spray-paint-6-ounces/p-SPM2371635203?sid=IDx20110310x00001i&gclid=CL-_uaj9sNACFQ8lgQodnO4ESQ&gclsrc=aw.ds" target="_blank">http://www.sears.com/krylon-looking-glass-aer...

• Wendy Joint

I've done two things with damaged mirrors. The first was a large mirror badly damaged down one side and I painted creamy art-nouveau design over the damaged bit. The second was a small spot and I put a shiny kingfisher sticker over it - the sort you can buy in a sheet for the kids.

• Kathleen

Themed Clings also look nice.

• Pamela P

Put an decorative sticker over it.

• Kim Salmi

Pretty ,very inexpensive mirror clings that mimic stained glass and come in various shapes and sizes ( butterflies,flowers,etc) would cover the spot and look like a decorative choice instead of a cover up if you make a design out of them ...often available in dollar stores ( not the 3d gel variety for holidays but the flat ones ) they are quick fix for cheap and easily replaced or changed on a whim ...when my hanging shower radio mirror got too old and funky but the radio was ( and is) still working great ...I stuck a big floral one on it ...problem solved

• Tracy

Rust-oleum has a product called mirror effect that should fix the spots. Never tried it though. Also heard aluminum foil works.

• Debbie Miller

I have several antique mirrored pieces with black spots. I personally like the look of old mirrors, the spots give them character!

• Donna

Hang a cling on them or use Gallery Glass (available at Michaels) to create a design. Maybe a vine and leaves or even branches it would also unify the 3 mirrors if you ran the design as if they were continuous pieces.

• Deanna Nassar

Sounds cool Donna. There is also a paint that you use on damaged mirrors.

• Diane Bemus

Google "re-silver a mirror", you will get some ideas there and links to silvering kits.

• Chrissy

Or you can touch the FRONT surface of the mirror with a new nail polish called "Chrome" which looks like shiny reflective chrome. I saw it at CVS last week. It's fail-safe, since if you want to re-do, just wipe off with nail polish remover.

• Gail M Lightfoot

I lightly sprayed gold paint on a mirror that I couldn't get clean. Looks great

• Angela

Tape a small piece of aluminum foil shiney side down on the back of the mirror where the spots are.

• Mar12004966

Turn marks into ladybugs or butterflies with coloured permanent markers(sharpies).

• Bor10527877

I would suggest using decals meant for glass & make an interesting focal point...cattails, reeds, birds or butterflies, etc.

• FRAN

my grandson cracked a blue mirrored photo frame, an expensive one, I glued an old butterfly brooch on it and turned it even higher end, looks great

• Cathy Murphy

I bought an old vanity and the mirror had a lot of dark places on it. I went to Wal-Mart and bought some small mirror tiles of birds and leaves and put them all around the edges where the spots were. Looks pretty good (to me, anyways).

, I m not sure you can see it very well but they just stick on They were in the hardware department with the wllpaper border etc, I think it took 3 packages to do the mirror
    • Melissa V

I think that's a great idea 💡!!! On my older pieces the glass has turned blue, and I don't mind the silvering bits off the back because the whole thing is a true antique. For clear mirrors, I love this idea!

• Sonya Theos Hohl

If it's only 1 or 2 spots, try mirror effects spray paint. I would try on a dollar store mirror 1st, but it should fill it in fm the back pretty well.

• Di

Years ago I heard of using aluminum foil - can't remember if you wipe the black spot of the back of the mirror or glue piece of aluminum foil around the spot on back of mirror (?)

• Ann Smitt

Buy Antique Patina Mirror Solution ($11.50-18.50). Follow directions and antique all three mirrors. No more black spot. See You Tube for tutorials on how to antique a mirror so it has black spots.

• Mandy Brown

Try spraying mirror spray paint on the back.

• Coo13098495

Gently rub steelwool in the area on the back to reveal a loved photograph just "ghostly" showing through.

• Sha3898107

Cheap silver nail polish

• Sha3898107

Put a decal, a mommagram intial,

• Andrea R

leave it there! It gives it character!

• Oberlinmom

If your crafty I'd try getting some "frosted" contact paper. Create a pattern you like or design to cover the spots. Vines, flowers, butterflies, even something modern, stripes etc. If you really like it you could even make a stencil and etch the glass. Major box craft shops carry several brands of etching fluid.

• Linda Werner

HIGH SHINE silver polish AFTER you clean with alcohol ON THE BACK of the mirror

• Jcraw

Leave it

• Terrie Fisher

Frame a verity of family pictures to make a collage in that area of the mirror, and leave the rest as a mirror......

• Tina

Enhance them...make them antique.

• Jennifer

I've wanted to try applying the new mirror silver paint to the back to take care of de-silvering, but I don't know what it will do to the rest of the mirror. Let me know if you try it

• Lyn Buerger

A tough of hi gloss silver paint on the back will help but it will not entirely get rid of the mark. The older silver has gotten damaged and is oxidizing, and will generally get gradually worse. But how about some stick ons on the front ( snow flakes, hearts, words, names, stars, moons or some such).

• Joyce

Using hobby paint for glass, make a design to cover the spot & to the edge - either free hand or stencil. Repeat on each one at a little different edge on each; use a color to match your room.

• DarWat

I would find ome pretty butterflies and glue the over the spot. maybe place a few randomly on mirrors.

• Linda Werner

Sorry about the suggestion of alcohol. just be sure its as clean as possible before using polish. good luck

• Mary

You could use acid etch with a stencil, but not sure if the spot would be completely covered. It would frost the area in whatever design you choose, then you could make a few other stencils randomly around the mirror for effect.

• Jennifer

With living room decor, that small spot gives it character, but I have taken a vintage mirror I wanted to use in the bathroom and had it re-silvered.

• Kathy Lanora Thomas

What about mirror ball spray paint.

• MM

Good idea, or as shiny a silver as you can get and at least it won't look black anymore but more blended in

• Carolyn Ruder Tulipana Wyhs

If the mirrors are antique, they are worth the money to have them resilvered. Look on line for people who do this in your area. I have had two done and they still have the antique look and finish.

• Desmond

Spray with chrome spray can on back of the mirror (glass).

• Noahbunny

Decals! Butterflies would be my choice but pick ones that work for you. Or possibly some imitation greenery, positioned to hang over the spots.

• Sherryll

Find a pretty stencil and etch the mirror over the spot.

• Cdo3692205

All of the above! :)

• Char

I let it show. That is the mark of an antique. Or you can paint the spot on the back. Mine have black so I would dab a little black paint.

• Andrea R

get a silver paint pen and fill it in, I always keep gold,silver,black,etc. paint pens handy for things like this...
  • Joanie

Paint a small flower or heart.....a color that would match your decor?? A bird, an angel, etc.