Asked on Dec 1, 2016

My hot glue guns aren't working, what am I doing wrong?

TriggerDeb KosterNeha
+17

I have many hot glue guns because I can't get any of them to work. I plug them in, wait forever for them to be got, make sure I have a glue stick in them and when I push the handle nothing comes out....I must be doing something wrong----I need my guns now :(
  • Darla

Are you sure the stick is all the way down inside. When you start a new stick with mine I have to push it in there til it grabs it and pulls it in to melt it.
    • Gramcracker

thanks for replying Darla, yes I've done everything I can so the glue comes out. This just doesn't work on any of my glue guns, old and new one's.....i'll just have to take it to one of my friends and see if they can fix
  • Mel swiger

Yea, and sometimes I have to use another stick to shove it far enough for it to grab.
  • Pallet Man

Unless I am using the long glue sticks, I need to stack a second glue stick so the first gets pushed into the hot tip. It can take a slow push to get the glue stick into the hot tip. If the tip is hot, you just have to push the glue stick in harder. If the tip is not getting hot enough to melt the glue if you touch it to a glue stick, the heating mechanism is not working.
  • Suellen Hintz

Are you sure your electrical outlet is working? Plug in a lamp or hair dryer to check it. Waiting for the gun to fully heat and pushing the glue stick with your hand is vital, as already mentioned. Also be sure you're using the proper type of glue stick for your glue gun.
  • Redcatcec

It might be your outlet, plug something you know works on another outlet and then try it in your glue gun outlet. If it works, it is your glue gun, if not working, it is your outlet.
    • Gramcracker

I've used all of the outlets I have and get same result - this is just crazy as I use glue guns for a lot of things I do. I decided to take my glue guns to friends home and see what happens; that's my last resort. Thanks all for your comments.
  • Annette Barsby

I have a similar problem. Got on okay with one cheap gun then it stopped dispensing the glue. So had to push in another glue stick with right hand. Making it impossible to guide the gun to the work. Then it all got clogged inside, and I had to dig it all out. Pull the half melted glue stick out of the end, not easy.
    Gun no good now. So bought a Stanley a good make, 1st time I used it same issue. No glue coming out. The trigger mechanism is rather strange as it doesn't actually push the glue stick in at all, it just glides round it.
  • Barbara Weber

you have to push the glue stick through by hand most of the time.
  • Neha

I faced the same problem when i got my first glue gun. After loads of research and advice from friends, I realized that you will actually need to replace your glue stick with a longer one if you can detect no other problem. consult your manufacturer too for more information.

• Deb Koster

the gun is hot, I get it primed. As I work with it the hot glue backs up into the area where the trigger brings the stick forward and the blocks it from moving further......what am I doing wrong?

• Trigger

I have a stanley professional and the blue and orange one like the videos. Same problem. It gets hot. I remember when it used to work it would curl up a Big Blob of glue where the tip is when I wasn't using it so I had to sit something under it especially when I was hitting it. It seems to be a mess at the open viewing part where the rubber thing goes around the stick it is frustrating .I feel you