Asked on Apr 28, 2017

I need to know what to call a specific type of decorative door

HejeRhonda SM. M..


My son's home has a beautiful 1950's era wooden door with glass above and a sort of x shaped panel at the bottom. We would like a similar door for another exterior entrance, but I can't seem to hit on a search term to help me find it. It is not intricate or ornate, but it is also not the typical raised panel rectangles seen on many less expensive modern doors. Can someone tell me a name or even a style to use as a search term I'm sorry I don't have a photo of the original door we are trying to duplicate, immitate or at very least coordinate with, since both will be visible from the drive way. Thanks!
This is the style, but I don't know a name for it. This is not my son's door. His has a simple wavy glass window. The owner called this 1950's retro

5 answers
  • Angela Ley
    on Apr 28, 2017

    Is it a dutch door, does the panel above open separately from the panel on the bottom

    Here is a link to a dutch door.

  • Rhonda S
    on Apr 30, 2017

    I think we found the answer - a neice called this pattern a sawbuck, and I read it is from the Colonial period.She also said they were common on Dutch doors. Thank you for the link Angela Ley! I'll look at it. Perhaps I can find the solution to the challenge there. Have a great evening.
  • M. M..
    on Apr 30, 2017

    Judging from the photo,this can't be a Dutch door as the large handle bridges over where the horizontal dividing cut would be. Both halves swing independently,and there are usually FOUR hinges, two each on the upper and lower halves. I grew up with them, my mom loved them because they allowed fresh air and visibility with the top open, but the closed bottom kept the kids and dog inside (or outside, but she could still watch us in the yard)..
  • Rhonda S
    on May 1, 2017

    Thank you. No, it isn't a dutch door, and I'm not looking for a dutch door application. I am just looking to recreate or purchase the saw buck (That's what I'm told it is called) from the bottom. Thanks for your answer!
  • Heje
    on Aug 23, 2018

    I agree with your niece that it is a sawbuck pattern.

Your comment...