Asked on Apr 29, 2017

What's the best way to remove decoupage from this dresser?

Toda TodaBetsy CossNitad
+8

My neighbor was throwing this out an I know that I can fix this somehow .this will be my first project .
  • Marilyn Zaruba

That must have been a pretty little dresser at one time, From the looks of it now, it is going to need a TON of elbow grease and some great sandpaper. You can bring this back, I know you can. Paint stripper might budge that mess...worth a try.
  • Sylvia Candler

Since it's painted underneath I'd go with the paint stripper first to get off as much as possible BEFORE sanding.

Use Citristrip which is a safe non toxic stripper.
  • Merry Mount

There is a good chance, it has lead paint on it. To test: hold a piece of peeling paint in the palm of your hand and stick it with the tip of your finger. If it breaks, it has at least one layer of lead paint.
    Do NOT sand if it tested for lead. A liquid sander would be worth a try, along with gloves and an old paint brush (to apply) and something to scrub with. Read the directions carefully.
    Good Luck

• Ili

How about using it as an open shelf dresser??? Sort of a bar, or with rattan baskets . Less work!!! I wouldn't like to deal with lead (possibly there)....I like that Citristrip...I'll keep it in mind...
  • Pennie1958

would make a great chair your wouldnt have drawers unless you leave the bottom one which i think would be great for storage hope this helps
  • Natalia

I think you should leave the texture. Just clean it and paint it white or cream and add clear crystal drawer pulls.
  • Barb McKinney

Ty everyone I'll let y'all know how it turns out .
  • Nitad

Use citristrip sure to let it sit and it will do the work for you. Afterwards sand as needed. Wear a
    mask during sanding
  • Betsy Coss

i WONDER if some kind of heat would remove that paper, like they use to remove wallpaper?
  • Toda Toda

Hi everyone, I don’t have Citristrip here (Singapore) is there other options?