How can I make a pet house out of a cardboard box?

861650She's Crafty! Hometalk HelperLora
+4

I got a new ottoman, and my cat fell in love with the cardboard box it came in.
I put a quilt in it for her to lay on, and a throw over the top for privacy. She loves it, but I think it's a terrible look for my living room! I'd like to design it somehow to look cute so that the cat and I can both enjoy it! Ideas, anyone? Thanks!
q how can i make a pet house out of a cardboard box
Boo loves her ugly little hut!
  • Van Maiato

Cover it in wallpaper or match the design to the furniture next to it. Or maybe even your rug can inspire your colors for even painting your little hut for kitty. Good luck.
  • Andrew Bounader

Hi,

Maybe a little to 'chique'?

But some ideas could be toned down, the soccer ball could be made with Hexagons and Pentagons and taped together which could be made in different sizes...
  • Patricia

You could stick pretty contact paper onto the box. A cheaper alternative would be to use ModPodge to adhere gift wrap to the box. Then add a 2nd coat of Mod Podge over the top to seal it.
  • Jacks Beta

Go to Joannes, Micheal or Hobby Lobby or any fabric store and get some pretty fabric. Cover the box in it so it matches your decor or adds a pop.
  • Lora

I would use the modpodge to adhere some coordinating fabric or paper to the box. Then glue some fabric to the top, hanging down in front and glue on a trim to cover the raw edge.
  • I had a similar "problem"!  I love all the ideas above, and would add that I taped the top shut and cut a square in the front for her to go in and out of. More private for her, but I can still find her and the dog can't get in!
  • 861650

Whatever you do, add more than just one opening. Cut out a couple of windows for her to peek through.