Should I take down my old dark panel wood walls and sheet rock or pain

Deb30393045JudyHLaf28032259
+4

• Ann Cherkas Halstead

why not paint the paneling?
    • Deb30393045

Worried it won't look good! My den is so dark and I really want to brighten up my living area!!!
  • Peg

It is your personal choice.

that is a choice only you can make
  • Laf28032259

I would try painting the paneling. Try just one section. There might be a lot of prep work tho. A lot of sanding and maybe two coats of primer. If u hang Sheetrock u will still have to prime, tape and paint it. Either way there is prep work. I would try painting the panelling with KILz primer. It's the best and the coverage is awesome then pick your color

• JudyH

If the paneling is made from actual wood planks it would be lovely using a pickling technique to lighten it if you do not have very formal style furnishings. If the paneling is the type that comes in 4x8 sheets, I would suggest removing it and having sheetrock installed then paint it your color of choice. We bought a house years ago with the 4x8 sheet paneling that the previous owner had painted over and it was really unattractive.
  • Deb30393045

Thank you!! Best idea yet!! I know either way is a lot of work but my den ( my main area I use is so dark) !! I lost my mom a year ago and the darkness adds to it!! Want to brighten my den and life!! Thank you