Need prep & painting tech. help for old dirty louvered wood doors.

+6
Recently remodeled kitchen (new cabs, countertops, appliances) screams for completion; the remaining louvered wood bifold doors interior to patio slider, plus the louvered shutter-style cupboard doors on what my contractors called "the hutch" need painting to match the color of the custom kitchen cabinetry. I've purchased the semi-gloss color-matching paint but need professional/personal experience advice on 1) how best to prep the unfinished but dirty/stained wood on the bifolds and shutters, 2) best type of paint applicator to use (i.e., paintbrush or sponge), and 3) how to prevent paint from dripping from the front-facing sides to the backsides of the louvers on all doors during the process. Bottom line: is this something I could actually do on my own with success? Or would you recommend hiring a professional painter (with paint booth and airsprayer equipment) for execution?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!