Linda Harp
Linda Harp
  • Cookeville, TN
Asked on Dec 7, 2017

What kind of sealer can be used over rustoleum hammered paint?

Rita HoffmannKatAychWilliam
+6

I have painted my kitchen counters with Rustoleum hammered paint and it looks great but something leaked onto the counter and hours later when I discovered it and wiped, the paint came off with it. What kind of sealer should be used with this type of paint?
q what kind of sealer can be used over rustoleum hammered paint
  • Cindy Hagemann

You will have to use a food grade sealer. I have butcher block counters and have to use a special beeswax made for counters.

• Linda Sikut

You could also call Rust Oleum to ask what they recommend

• Jewell Martin

I like polyurethane to seal nearly anything, but letting it cure is essential. That starts with the repair to your countertop. Paint, dry, sand, dry longer, seal, dry two or three complete days before you set anything on the counters. Even letting the sealer cure, use trays under things like a bowl of ice cubes and soda bottles. Always use a chopping board under a knife. Leave a clean dishtowel (or paper towels) out to wipe up spills. 😇

• Vimarhonor

For recommendations I would call Rustoleum.

Some sources claim that certain paints and chemically treated woods should NOT be used in areas in contact with food, perhaps this could be the case with countertops, not sure.

Should have use Rust-Oleum counter top paint kit. Did you prep the countertop properly before painting. Clean it properly. Lightly sanding to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint. You can try at least three coats of a water based polyurethane.

• Linda Harp

Thanks William. Yes, I did all that prep. Just didn't use counter top paint, now I need to seal it. Should be fine after that. Thanks again : )

• KatAych

I painted our kitchen countertops with acrylics. We sealed them with Envirotex Lite, which is very easy to mix and use and self-levels to a good thickness. It is also very shiny. You can find it at craft or home improvement stores and of course, online. Regardless of what you coat it with, always use a cutting board and/or trivets.

• Rita Hoffmann

Hey! I used the countertop paint and wasn't happy with it. I've bought a can of the hammered paint because I think I'll like the texture better. How has yours held up? Did you ever seal it? I'm going to go with poly, I think.