Asked on Jan 12, 2018

Painting bamboo tables

WilliamBjg25750075Janet Pizaro
+5

i have 3 end and a coffee table i want to paint. i already cleaned them with TSP and water. my plan is to sand them and prime them with a spray and then spray paint them...however, i want a little distressed look (off white/cream paint) . How do I do that and will the paint adhewared to the roping which looks gloosy even after cleaning?

Janet Pizaro

why would you spray paint them if you want a distressed look?
    William

You have the right process down. Lightly sanding should remove the glossyness on the roping. To get the distressed look paint the tables with the off white/cream first, then paint with your color. Once it's dry sand through the finish color to reveal the off whit/cream underneath in different areas giving that distressed look.
    • Blo8261081
      Blo8261081

thanks for the info. I am painting them white/cream and want the distressed look to bring out just a touch of the light honey brown of the bamboo. So i should spray them an d THEN wait till they dry to lightly sand ? also, do i need to use a primer? thanks for your help
    William

OK. Yes use a primer, then spray them. Once it's dry just lightly sand areas the give a distressed look. You may want to use a water based polyurethane to seal it all.
    • Gail
      Gail

I’d just like to add that make sure everything is matte. Take your time on the primer. Make sure it really dries before painting. Wait a day before painting. I did my kitchen cabinets and I saw the difference between the doors that I took my time with and those I didn’t.
  • Bjg25750075
    Bjg25750075

Make shure your[Bamboo] isn't all or part plastic
    William

Please post your project. Good Luck.