Asked on Jan 22, 2018

How do I build an easy foundation for a shed?

InetiaJerryMogie
+10

I want to buy a plastic shed and do not want it sitting directly on the ground, but did not want to deal with a complicated deck or paver foundation.

• Mp
    Mp

Cheap shipping pallets, that's what I used works great.
  • 27524803
    27524803

How long your shed lasts will depend on how good the foundation is... especially if the shed is plastic... a shifting foundation will effect how the roof fits, and how the doors close.... spend the funds and take the time now to give it a good foundation.. and it will hold up longer.... and so will your temper.
  • Sue25327470
    Sue25327470

I am assuming that your location does not require a solid base such as concrete. Where I live sheds have to be on a concrete pad that is at least 6 inches thick. If you don't have to do that I suggest pallets. They are easy to work with, you can get them for free (a plus!) and you can stain or paint them if you want to. If you need a floor that you can walk easily on cover the pallets with plywood.
  • Elizabeth Swanson
    Elizabeth Swanson

Paving stones, bricks or railroad ties butted together.
  • Mogie
    Mogie

Just be aware that most bases made out of wood rot unless they are treated.
  • Jerry
    Jerry

if you use pallets or other untreated wood it will rot eventually, at that point you will be sorry that you didn't do it right the first time (trust me, I've made that mistake too many times). I did this for my grandson and my suggestion is to make a base of pressure treated 2 x 4s, with a plywood cap. It will be more work but will last for years and years. I've learned that it is always better in the long run to do it right the first time.
  • Inetia
    Inetia

We put a shed in a sand box that once contained a swing set. We leveled pallets it the sand and put the shed on top.