How do you paint over red paint to light color?

+4
  • Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Apr 19, 2018
    I would consider using a primer, or inquire at the paint counter if the newer primer+ paint all in one formulations would do the trick. In the past - We painted a dark navy blue wall ——>a light beige and primer made it cover nicely.
  • Amanda Amanda on Apr 19, 2018
    Hi Ina. You will want to prime the wall first to cover the red. Then you will probably need a few coats of paint. Good Luck!
  • Betsy Betsy on Apr 19, 2018
    Use a coat or two of a good primer. Maybe a gray, depending on what colour you are using to paint over the red.
  • Janice Janice on Apr 19, 2018
    Definitely prime in a white and maybe ask about a stain blocker. Red is difficult to cover....I did it once on a red accent wall and I didn't prime but it took 3 coats and I still felt it could use one more coat.
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Apr 19, 2018
    Paint over the red with a primer like Zinsser Bull's-Eye 1-2-3 Primer in GREY. It will lighten the red and stop any possibility of bleed through. The next color of your choice should be a true color. If you don't want to do that, put a coat of light/medium blue over the red, then your color choice.
  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Apr 19, 2018
    Us a primer first - this will make your surface light. Then paint your color.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Apr 19, 2018
    you have to used a tinted primer