Asked on Apr 25, 2018

How do I remove a grease stain from my granite countertop?

WilliamDeeJanet Pizaro
+2

My husband left a can of cooking spray on the counter and it left a grease ring on my new granite counter top that was recently installed.

• MagnoliaMemories

Good afternoon Pw7491! I would try Dawn first. I would wet the area with a sponge and apply Dawn directly to the stain. Let it sit for an hour or two and remove with damp sponge.
    Another option is baking soda. Pour it on the stain and leave it overnight. It should soak up the stain also.
  • Red26480679

I use orange glo for all my kitchen cleaning it makes my granite look new when dealing with grease.
  • Dee

If you use baking soda, cover with plastic wrap so it stays moist. Clean in the morning.

Marble, granite, and stone do NOT like having acidic (ie: citrus-based) cleaners used on them. Citrus or vinegar will actually cause “etching” on granite countertops. Not a good thing. Granite countertops also don’t like it when you use something like Windex on them because it strips the “seal” off of the stone.

If you are trying to remove an old stain, create a dense paste of more baking soda and less water. Then place the paste over the stain, allowing it to function for a few minutes. After that wipe off the baking soda paste. If it is needed you can repeat the procedure until the stain vanishes.

Apparently there are some very nice countertop/granite cleaners out there that do a great job…but $7.00 for a 12-ounce bottle? YOU can do better than that! :-)

After researching several homemade options out there…I discovered they all had the same basic ingredients…just in varying amounts. Some had a LOT of alcohol in them…some very little. I think the following “recipe” has a good balance of the ingredients, based on the information I read.

Homemade Granite Cleaner, 1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol (or cheap vodka), 3 drops of Dawn or other dish soap (Castile soap would also be a good alternative if you prefer), Water, 5-10 drops essential oil (optional – to help mask the alcohol smell).

Put the rubbing alcohol or vodka into a 16 oz spray bottle. Add the dish soap, essential oil and fill up the rest of the bottle with water.

Now give it a few shakes….THEN give it a try! It should give your countertops a nice, clean shine. Works on appliances too! All at a FRACTION of the price of the store-bought stuff.