How do I get a layered painted look that appears weathered?

+4

I saw a coffee table that looked weathered, with blues, red, purple, brown and some white. It was beautiful. I would like to get that multilayered look, but not sure how to accomplish it. I've attached a photo that doesn't give the look justice, because it doesn't show the layering, but it gives the idea. Also, the wood used didn't appear to be pallet wood, but I'm unsure about that.

q how do i get a layered painted look that appears weathered
    • Jessica Schutte Jessica Schutte on Jul 20, 2018
      Gk, Thanks! I am hoping to get long lengths of the paint. Not sure the attached video will get me the look I'm after, but it's a start.
  • Mar33323618 Mar33323618 on Jul 20, 2018
    I don't know what it is
  • V Valencia V Valencia on Jul 21, 2018
    When you say layered, I think of various (colored) layers of paint, painted over each other. Then, sanded in varying depths to expose the various colors as you want to see. Then, you would add a dark wax and distress to get the weathered look. Or, rather than wax you can do a dry brush wash over the distressed piece with a watered down white or grayish paint. I am no expert, but I have played some with paint finishes.

If your wanting various "lines" of color as shown in the picture, I would paint each section (tape off each section) with coordinating colors...(and you could do some layering too)..then distress.

You can distress by sanding and hitting the item with tools, chains...also, chipping and scraping with a chisel. Depends on how rustic you want the piece to look.
  • Jessica Schutte Jessica Schutte on Jul 22, 2018
    Thanks V Valencia. I think I can run with that concept. I appreciate it.
  • Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Jul 22, 2018

Paint the layers of paint on the table with the color you want last let dry then start sanding edges spots

• Jessica Schutte Jessica Schutte on Jul 23, 2018
    Thanks Kathy. I do hope it's that easy.