Asked on Aug 29, 2018

How do I get rid of a musty smell?

Sandy HassingerTami DeanRobin Wiley
+6

In one bedroom a musty smell is coming up out of a floor vent. Is there something I can do to eliminate this odor?

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Start with Damp Rid. You may need to place it in the room and in the crawlspace as well. Once the moisture is tackled, Odo-Ban is a great odor neutralizer.

William

Only one bedroom? There may be something the fell/poured down it. Remove the vent and use a mirror with a flashlight to look in it. Use a vacuum and hose extension to clean the inside of the duct.

• Robin Wiley
    Robin Wiley

Sounds like you need to find out the cause of the smell first. Do you have a basement? If not maybe your crawl space has gotten wet and could be molding which is not a good thing. If the house is old maybe you just need to have your vents cleaned. But sounds like something has molded in the past and until it's gone you will probably keep smelling it. There are people that specialize in vent/duct cleaning and also in putting a barrier under your house to keep wetness and mold at bay. Most businesses will give you a free estimate. IMO these are two places to start looking for the issue. Hope this helps :)

• Robin Wiley
      Robin Wiley

I am in no way a professional but thank you and you're welcome. That's wonderful about the crawl space those can be so messy sometimes. If it's only one vent then I would definately remove the vent cover and see if you can find anything down there that could have gotten wet and molded. Could even be an old sock down there, who knows but good luck!!

• Tami Dean
    Tami Dean

Soak cotton balls in white vinegar and throw them in the vent.

• Sandy Hassinger
    Sandy Hassinger

I will try this Thanks