Karen Kendall
Karen Kendall
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Asked 9 hours ago

What is the best way to apply a gloss finish to acrylic paint on wood?

VimarhonorThrifted NestCher @ Designs By Studio C
+1

I'm using acrylic paint, sharpie marker and regular house paint (the black and white) to paint skateboard art on a 4x4 piece of plywood for my nephew. I wanted to do a resin finish, but that is expensive. Any products that will work on this project instead that wont require a long curing process before applying?

• Cynthia H
    8 hours ago

There are gloss spray sealers that should work. Check the label or website of the product for recommendations. I buy a clear sealer that Rustoleum makes.

• Hi, Karen!

RustOleum makes several spray finishes including a laquer, a general clear coat and finish like the kind that is on pottery. Check the labels for compatibility with your project... I hope this helps!

• Thrifted Nest
    An hour ago

Hey Karen! I'd use a water based topcoat that you can easily paint on like Minwax Polycrylic.

• Vimarhonor
    5 minutes ago

Hello I’ve used both epoxy resin and waterbased brush on poly acrylic varnishes on my hand painted items.

If you want a quality glass like finish I would suggest not using a spray sealer. They offer minimal protection and coating.

The resin is probably about $25 and it’s a one shot application where as you might have to do several layers of the poly acrylic finish to reach the same effect.

I think I put eight layers of poly acrylic semigloss on my corn hole set it was pretty thick and glass like. There are several sheens of the brush on varnishes to choose from.

The two trays pictured below are resin pours, one resin kit can do several projects I probably have room to do a third project. The resin is very shiny and glass like —there’s lots of glare on the project— one word of caution about that versus using a brush on varnish. Plmk if ypu have any further questions.