Christina D
Christina D
  • Marion, OH

Cast iron stove doors - what to do with these lovelies?

DixieDiana DeileyKathie taylor
+28

We had an old cast iron wood stove in our garage, but never used it because the bottom was rusted out, so hubby took the pieces to the scrapyard. However, I kept these fabulous doors and feet! I thought about creating recycled wood frames and hanging the doors up as wall art, but I wanted to see if any other creative folks out there could help me think of other options? As for the feet, I may use them under a large potted plant, but I am open to suggestions about those too. I can't wait to see what great ideas pop up!
Patriotic perfection - Rusty metal stove doors!
  • Lori J

I could see them turned horizontally and framed, with pegs or hooks hanging belong. I would personally be tempted to paint the stars.

• Christina D

Lori J, that is a great idea to add the hooks. I never thought of that! Thanks so much for the idea! You know, something else I had thought of before we actually took the doors OFF the stove, I wanted to use them as doors on a cabinet or something, but some of the hinges broke off... :(

• Jeanette S

Please keep us posted about what you do. I love it that you had the good eye to save these parts and am anxious to see what you do with them. One thing, you do not have to use all of them together. This is the kind of thing you use what you want for now and keep the rest until a good idea hits you. Just DO NOT throw them out!

• Christina D

Oh no never! Thanks Jeanette! I love stars and old rusty metal... here is the perfect combination!

• Z

To me they are wall art just as they are, but I do love Lori's idea of framing them and adding hooks.

• Valerie

might make lovely window shutters!

• Jan C

Maybe use two of them together as a door mat at your front door? Do please update us on what you eventually do with them. :)

• Di S

i would spray paint them and use them as wall hangings in any room in your home

• Kimberly Juelfs

I would not spray paint them, just leave them as they are. I think the original look is so eclectic and if you decide to use hooks under them(which is an awesome idea!)old door knobs (my favorite are old glass knobs)work great!!

• Cora

maybe shutters,maybe great coat racks with glass door knobs,maybe on the ceiling as a pot rack

• Johanna Eldridge

you could use the doors to frame a fire pit. LOVE them! I am going to be looking out for old stove parts now!

• Chris aka monkey

OR.......you could give them to me and i would be eternally greatful haha love them just as they are xx

• Robyn

These are so beautiful! I don't know what your entryway or outside front door looks like but I would flank my door with them.

• Cora

another thing I would do is put them in your garden and hang them up and down from chains to make different sections in your garden what a conversation piece

• Diane C Olson

They would look great as doors on a cabinet built from distressed wood. I would maybe sand them somewhat but not paint them. Perhaps use some rub & buff to put a "touch" of color on the stars. The cabinet could be used indoors or out.

• Laurie M

Distressed wood added to frame these you can create a one of a kind headboard...

• M A

There are 2 things that come to mind. First, clean them up with a wire brush and if you want to keep the "finish" seal them. I would lay them flat and put a solid piece of glass or good plexi and turn them into either end tables or a big coffee table. You can even incorporate the legs into the table. Second, I would mount them on an outside wall of your house (or a sturdy fence) and hand a planter hook above and use them as a backdrop for a hanging plant.

• Chris Mocuik-Weber

to me they would look great in your garden just as fun pieces here and there

• MARY FISHER

Love the idea of making tables out of them for outside, don't paint, it would take away frm the look, stars are in! The large holes in corners you could hang small planters in If as a table top, or vines in and out, just about anything that comes to mind. They would I think, be to heavy to use inside, believe I would seal them. The feet could be used to set pots of plants on, a small fence surrounding an area?

• Opal

Oh my, these are fabulous. I'm thinking a vertical planter with feet, or a 3 sided planter then use the 4 plank and legs for a table outside. I would not paint, just clean up a little. I am envious. Keep us posted.

• Cyndi Neumann

How Awesome, so wonderful you did not scrap them! I am thinking garden decor of some kind and the patina is fabulous so inside or outside, I would NOT Paint them. They would be lovely on your porch, lovely rustic charm ambiance! You will think of something! Just think a bit on it and hopefully, you get the reply you w=are looking for! Smiles, Cyndi

• White Oak Studio Designs

I would hang them on the outside of my pool shack as a decoration.

• Kathie taylor

So, the first post on these beauties was 2012...since it is now 2104....what DID you do with these????

• Marlyn

I have a set of 4 legs and made antique looking lounge couch for my aging dog who just loves her new bed

• Carol

My first thought is kick plates for your front abs back door. Next staggered wall hanging over a fire place. Next, garden benches. Storage cabinet doors. If you have four feet, a coffee table. Doors for a barrister type book case. Build a wheel barrow with the doors as sides. They are fabulous. For me the legs would be part of a fireplace tool stand and the doors would be put up to hide the firebox in the summer. Or maybe slide down whenever the fireplace is not in use. Please post pictures of how you used these treasures.

• Susan Stagner

I would box them to the length of the doors and paint them red white and blue and use them for a tree box or sand box out in the yard.

• Roxann Browne

I think about welding into a triangle shaped umbrella stand, with a foot under each side. It could go outside on your front porch and painted to match your colors. Maybe some plants/planters at tops with ivy/flowers? Maybe an American Flag pole base/holder?.

• Kathie taylor

Guess we'll never know what she did...her original post was 2012!

• Diana Deiley

I would have the 4 feet (if you have 4) modified for a claw bathtub. The doors are awesome; hung on an accent wall, used as a kitchen backsplash, hung over a fireplace, add legs & a glass top for a table................endless possibilities. I'm jealous.

• Dixie

I love old iron and have many building "stars" and also some stove doors. I use one to cover the electric box on the outside of my house. Wish I had one of those for my collection......