Replacing a defective bathroom vent

+9
For starters, I'm not very good at home repairs, and finding this website is a Godsend to me. Things look simple to do, but for some reason, they don't wind up simple when I start doing them. So, any advice or assistance will be greatly appreciated.
I live in an older home, built in 1968, and the bathroom vent over the shower does not work. I've lived in the home for about 9 years now, and I don't think it's ever worked, but now realizing the importance of replacing it, due to some paint on the ceiling beginning to crack, and a couple of mold spots here and there. I took the vent cover off, and can tell that the fan is one of those squirrel cage type fans, or the shape of a snail shell. The metal box that the fan sits in is pretty much rusted through and through. Replacing the fan seems relatively simple, but a couple of questions I have are here:
(1) The size of the existing box, and hole in the ceiling is 9.5 x 10.5. It seems that I am going to be looking for a fan that meets these specs? I see fans that are smaller in size, but that would leave an opening around the fan. How is a situation like this resolved?
(2) You can see in the picture where the existing vent in the rustied out box is located. When I look at fans online, the location of the vent hole on the fan seems to be in a different location, such as the other side of the fan. Am I looking for a fan with the vent in the very same location?
(3) The proper removal of old and installation of new is to remove the rusty box currently in the ceiling, replacing it with a new fan that meets the same dimensions and specs as the old box, correct?
This fan is/was controlled by a timer switch on the wall. I am wanting to replace it with a standard on/off rocker switch.
All in all, from what I am describing, do I sound like I'm on the right track for replacing this fan? There are so many things around my house I want/need to fix/upgrade, and just having the confidence and know-how can get me up and running.
Thanks,
Ron
q replacing a defective bathroom vent, bathroom ideas, home maintenance repairs, how to, hvac, Picture of the current box in ceiling with location of vent
Picture of the current box in ceiling with location of vent.
q replacing a defective bathroom vent, bathroom ideas, home maintenance repairs, how to, hvac, Location of the existing fan over the shower
Location of the existing fan over the shower
q replacing a defective bathroom vent, bathroom ideas, home maintenance repairs, how to, hvac, The top controller is the timer for the dead vent fan
The top controller is the timer for the dead vent/fan.