Garden tub converted to indoor garden?

+2
I have a "garden tub" (oversized and separate from the shower) in my master bath which is a total waste of space. This may sound crazy but I would like to turn it into an indoor garden/planter space with potted plants and maybe a small water feature like a fountain or water fall with a pump to recycle the water ....???? I'm SURE my long-suffering husband will think I have gone totally over the edge, but could I get some other opinions, please, even if you agree with hubs. All ideas, suggestions, cautions, fed back welcome. THANKS!

• 27524803 27524803 on Dec 30, 2017
    Certainly do-able... the plants can set on the seat... and the bottom can be the basin for the fountain... you could even have fish... You will have to put a plug in the drain... most tub drain plugs eventually leak the water out... and you don't want that to happen to your fountain... especially if you decide to have fish.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 30, 2017
    As long as there is sufficient drainage you should be able to turn it into an actual garden tub. You will nee to put plenty of rock or gravel in the bottom to help with drainage. You may want to put something over the drain so that you don't have problems with soil going down the drain. I would go with some kind of water permeable garden fabric between the rocks/gravel and the soil to prevent this also. I don't think you want soil to stop up your pipes. With the humidity in the bathroom from the shower, you should be able to grow some really nice plants! A water feature that recycles the water would be a wonderful addition. I would make sure that you have a comfy chair in the bathroom so that you will be able to relax and enjoy your garden!

• V Smith V Smith on Dec 30, 2017
    I don't think I would get too crazy about the water feature or fish, most likely there isn't an outlet close enough that you don't have to run an extension cord. I can see making a cover and using it as a plant shelf/table with storage beneath. Rocks and gravel in a tub do not spell resale value.