How do I turn old flooring into a bookshelf?

+1
I have a bunch of hard wood flooring that just got taken up at my house and I could really use a large bookshelf. Of course I have no idea how to build one ha ha, any ideas or layouts I should be looking at?
  • Shoshana Shoshana on May 11, 2017
    You could use the flooring as shelves and then use cinder blocks to hold them up. That's a pretty simple option :-)

• C. D. Scallan C. D. Scallan on May 17, 2017
    My mom used these to build an entire wall of shelves. She turns 70 this year !

• Terra Gazelle Terra Gazelle on Jun 17, 2017
    I am building this.. but it will be 8 ft tall and 5 1/2 foot wide. It will be in the place of an entertainment system that is being removed.
    I went to Lowes and found the pieces I needed... (they do all the cutting and threading for free.)
    Two 10 ft. black iron pipes cut into 16 pieces, threaded on both sides, 3/4 inch wide
    4 floor flanges
    16 couplings
    16 large washers
    a hole saw.
    all 3/4 inch.
    I have alot of books and its going to be heavy.. so I decided on the 3/4 inch gas pipe. I will not be using the t's or fasten anything to the walls.

I am going to use cypress for my shelves..its very popular here. But using flooring is ingenious. I am using unfinished tongue and groove flooring for a kitchen work table, and staining them with the black tea and vinegar/steel wool solution.

• Rita Hall Rita Hall on Jul 05, 2017
    use bricks in between boards.